Creating A "Hidden Garden"

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by waretrop, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jewell--Spring bulbs are a great idea. They are often up and blooming before the trees have really leafed out, so they get enough sun. This year I have bought Spanish bluebells, which are supposed to naturalize & grow well in the shade.

Barb, you might also want to think in layers: the top layer being the trees that already exist on the site, then the understory trees (are there any blooming trees that grow in shade?), then the bush level (azaleas, rhodies, mountain laurel) and then the ground level--hostas, epimediums, astilbe, dicentra, etc.

2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Creating A "Hidden Garden"

Hi Everyone, Well, Since we have had Spring all Winter we have very slowly cleared that 1/4th acre. I took more pictures but it doesn't look like any change. It will as we get more into (the real) Spring.

There is some sun shine and shade in it as we cleared it out.

After a couple cases of Poison Ivy, we will now begin to plant some things. Forsythia, Dwarf Flowering Cherry, Rose of Sharon all around the edges. Then we will put some forsythia in the middle somewhere, I have many bulbs that I will thin out and move I also will use some of those St John's wart's that I started last fall. Pussy Willow that is n the wrong place that will go in this new garden. I have some bleeding heart that heeds to be thinned out and will go in there. I started some holly plants also, and lots of fire bush. That will go nicely there. I have soo many hosta that can be split and put there also. It should look good by summer. I have a hose from our "up shed" so everything will be watered very well if needed.

I have mane notes of your suggestions and will keep adding all Spring and Summer. (If that ever happens) LOL

I really don't know what I am doing so I do believe I should listen to others. I also have the octopus plant. I started sooo many little ones and kept them in the greenhouse for the whole winter. Somehow I will put them in there. It spreads and flowers like crazy. I plan on putting that in the empty lot of my neighbors. All he has is weeds in there. Don't even think he will notice that I add stuff. LOL

Thanks for all your advice.

Barb in Pa. (Where we only have 1 season.) Spring!!!!

3. designshare

designshare New Seed

Yes,I use Maya software to design it.

4. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

Forsythia is a beautiful choice for a natural privacy fence. They are one of the first things to bloom in early spring & the bright yellow blooms just boost the winter-weary spirit so much! They can be costly; especially if you need quite a few, but you could do what I did.... put an ad on craigslist asking for free or very cheap forsythia saplings. I got plenty for my project & all it cost was a little gasoline & a bit of elbow-grease. Sometimes they'll give the plants to you if you dig them up. Good luck on your hidden garden; you have a lovely property for it. One more suggestion: how about a wooden gate with a framework trellis above it? Fence not needed.... and plant wisteria on the frame-trellis. Beautiful entryway, I think.

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

I took pictures but it doesn't look much different from the last ones. We began to plant some things on the outer edge but can't get all around it yet as we haven't rented a chipper to get rid of the trees that fell and what we cleaned out. The mulch will go right back into the garden area. In a couple of weeks that job will be done.

At the edge will be Red Twig Dogwood Bush, Forsythia and Rose Of Sharon and will be repeated all the way around it.

I still have my list of everything you all suggested and probable will use all of them. It's a pretty large area. I have been growing lots of these extra plants all over the place. Like Lily Of The Valley that I have an over abundance of are all planted in one area of the front garden just so I can move it into the hidden gardens. I have some plants that I potted up and they are living in the greenhouse for the whole Winter.

I think Craigslist is a great idea for getting plants. I have gotten bulbs that way. People were going to throw them in the garbage. :eek: I paid over $100.00 to get what I have and thought I would take a few years starting new ones from that I bought. It would go much faster with the help of Craigslist people.

I have a few Wisteria started. Will it bloom in shade???

Barb in Pa.

6. designshare

designshare New Seed

I could help more.
    You select some plants from Craigslist,your greenhouse,neighbors,local nursery,park,it is easy.your problem is the plants must be combinations and contrast and coordinate colors to match your hardscape,the yard,your house.They are visual feelings.
    So I prefer to add some ideas on some photos.my intention is to avoid the result is very different from your image and wordy suggests,help you easy read and visual understand
    I suggest you take some overall pics (They are not too close up).I could see the perimeter line of the yard,the shed,your house(for a sideway) in a pic.

7. waretrop

designshare, You got the wrong idea though it's a great concept. The hidden gardens are supposed to be beyond your background hedge. Now I want a fire pit in the garden. You make everything look so beautiful, I wish the gardens that I create would not take so long to become filled in.

The area that you are trying to make the garden is all grass, of sorts. It's on a gentle slope and my hubby want's it to stay grass. He loves to cut it all the time. :p :p

Barb in Pa.

8. designshare

designshare New Seed

I feel I misunderstand your photos.

9. waretrop

Well, we didn't do anything with our hidden garden last Summer to speak of. We may have added some Forsythia, Rose of Sharon, Rhododendrons, Crape Myrtle and Hellebore but nothing else.

Yesterday we went out and got many plants, most of which will go in the hidden gardens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope to put most of them around the edges of the picnic side. The 3 evergreen looking things will go on the more open parts of our yard.

Droopy likes this.
  10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Looks like you will be busy getting things in the ground. You mentioned that you had some hostas and other plants moved into your secret garden. Have you started laying out your beds and paths yet? Sounds like the perimeter is coming along nicely. I know my little 30x75-100 foot woodland area continues to evolve. You have so much beautiful woodland can't wait to see the continued developments. :stew1:

11. waretrop

You know I really don't know about these kinds of plants. You know the ones that you plant in the yards and gardens that you leave in all Winter????? That's what I don't know about. I just read the labels and put them in areas accordingly. If that's incorrect we will just have to move them at a later date.

So all those plants are in, except one. The hubby got to tired and we couldn't figure out where to put it. You know when you are so tired you can't make a decision? Well, we couldn't do that by the time we were done....

So, yes, Jewell.... I am going to move some Hosta up there and there is a spot for some of these bulbs we have growing all over the place. I can't do that till they begin to grow. I know that probably isn't the correct time to move them but I just can't figure out where they are at the moment. I will baby them when I do it.

I also used dried blood on many plants around our little Mountainside Farm. :D Those deer have taken all what green started so far this year. I have always called that a natural trimming but that's the last year I am going to need something from nature in the trimming dept.....

It's shower and wine time now and then if our feet are willing we may go take some pictures of all the damages. Not really much to look at but that's ok.

12. Jewell

Barb,

What a lot of work you accomplished today. I have been moving fall planted bulbs during the spring for the last several years. I can't find the right ones otherwise or I stab and destroy too many bulbs. It was sweet to see the snowdrops flowering this spring in the little orchard for the first time. If you are careful and pull off the flowers it has worked well for the overcrowded narcissus also. :D The tops continue to grow if you are careful with the bulb roots.

Will be looking forward to seeing the photos.

13. waretrop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know you can't tell what we have done but this is the tree line of the hidden garden. In a few weeks I will take more pictures again and you will see what we did.

I think Spring has finally Spring.....YAY

14. Jewell

I see lots of new plants along the tree line ;) . That's a lot of digging that was going on.

15. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Azalea's and rhododendron would do real well there.
    This is my hidden/secret garden, not seen from the front of our home, only seen from outside front entry, or from our dining room window as on pic.
    P.S. A nice meandering path through yours would be lovely, maybe with a gate entrance,just for fun?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from SusieQ07's Garden )