Creating A "Hidden Garden"

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by waretrop, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Barb, I am very impressed with your energy (& your husband's as well!!)

2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We picked up another load yesterday but unfortunately today was very cold to be digging and watering. We picked up somethings to create one more garden area in the sun. Mulch is the next big job we need about 22 tons, I think....

After that all I want to do is watch for weeds.....

3. film495

film495 Seedling

you might have more sun in the middle of the clearing than you think. my parents have an area that is mostly surruounded by trees, but seem to be able to grow full sun garden crops there just fine. Zone 5.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

film495, We did clear our allot of dead wood and brush 2 years ago but I think it's mostly speckled sun or total shade in the middle of that quarter acre. It does get sum alone this one edge that I have planted but not on the other 2 edges. They are also shade. I will have to put Rhodes or something like that along those two sides.

It will be a nice secret garden spot if it ever gets filled in. We will be adding plants all Spring and
    Summer.

SusieQ07, Your hidden garden is so very cute. Can we see some pictures from different sides?

PS I have tons of Hydrangea quercifolia (Oakleaf hydrangea)that I started from clippings last year. Will I be able to put it in the middle of this hidden garden or shaded 2 sides of this area? I am not sure, for I have my stock plant in direct sun in the front garden and it's doing wonderfully.

Advertisement