CSI: West-Friesland...not for the faint of heart

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sjoerd, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

[​IMG]

I was having brunch at home on my day off...the fone rings.

"Hello boss...we've got a 10-54 down here at the lottie complex".

"Tell me more".

"What's the 10-45"?

"I'd guess you'd call it a 10-45D".

"You guess? "

"Yes, boss...you'll see what I mean when you get here".

"Ok then, it sounds like a 10-55. Get him down there".

"Right, boss...it's done."

I picked-up my partner Saskia, and we headed out to the crime scene. It was a short drive and when we got to the turn-off, I thought what a pleasant-looking place. Somehow it all just doesn't seem to fit.
    We turned into the complex and proceeded on down to the end and parked outside the zone, We slipped in the snow as we approached the striped tape.
    [​IMG]

"Good morning, boss—I hope that we didn't disturb your brekkie".

"You did, and it's brunch at this time of day".

"I see you brought your sweet roll with you, Boss. I don't know if you'll be hungry after you have a look over there".

"What's the matter Sas, afraid to come out alone?

We ducked under the tape and approached the scene, ignoring Jan's taunts.

"Good morning, Bones".

"Good morning, Inspector".
    [​IMG]

I looked at the carnage and said, "What did you mean when you said that you guessed that it was a 10-45D? With parts spread from one side of the crime scene to the other, I'd say that it was a definite 10-45D, wouldn't you"?

"Ummmm...right, boss".

"Ok then, Saskia--get all these people out of here and start with the fotos. Bones--you can do your bit, cataloguing and bagging the parts.
    Get someone over there and dust the bush and fence post.
    I want casts made of the footprints, too. Have that bird poop analized for type and content. Round-up all the usual suspects and bring them in for questioning. Chop-chop, people, what are you waiting for"!

"Right, boss", they acknowledged as they quickly went their own ways.

I carefully approached the scene, and as I looked over it I thought, "It WAS carnage. We are dealing with a real animal here".

There were countless footprints, there was blood and curiously enough-- bits of tissue, bones and feathers scattered over the site.
    I finished off my Danish as I poked through the bits looking for clues.

"Sas! See if there were any witnesses and take a statement, I am going to finish up here and I will meet you and the team back at headquarters".

Later on in the day, when I got back to the office I walked downstairs and into the Lab section...

"What do you have for me, doc"?

"Well, what we have here is a real mess. Saskia was 'tweet' enough to dump this in my nest, but I am having trouble making wings or tails out of it all".

"Sigh", raising my eyebrows.

"Or was that 'heads'"--(he looks upwards rubbing his chin)"...no, that's right, there WAS no head, to speak of.
    All you have given me are parts...bits and pieces".
    "What was the time of death"?

"Between 9:15 and 10:00, say approximately nine-thirty".

"Hmmmm..."

"You haven't given me enough evidence to tell if it is male or female, or even WHAT kind it is".

"What about a DNA analysis"?

"DNA analysis costs money, Sjoerd".

"Well, WHAT killed it then"?

"Sheesh—your guess is as good as mine".

"Tch! What do they pay you for, bones"?

"Look, Sjoerd—if you want miracles, go to Galilee".

"What CAN you identify, Dr. Helpful"?

The doc smirks....

"Well, let's see....we have one mandible—a lower beak component. Mmmm, there is some brain tissue. We have some cranial chips and I almost forgot—some feathers. Brown feathers, some of which are tinted reddish-yellow".

"Thanks for your wealth of information, you are a fountain of knowledge".

"Sarky, are we"?
    I walked over to another corner of the crime scene, through the crunching snow.

Later on that evening, in the Analysis room...

"Ok then guys...what have we got here? It seems that we have a murder", I began......

"Seems?", Jan piped-up. "I'd have thought that scattered body parts would have indicated murder alright". --the others chuckled, but their chuckles faded when I gazed straight-faced at them all.

"Jan thinks there was a murder here. Does anyone else agree"?

--most nodded.

"Sir, Just look at the pin-up foto-- we have some tissue samples and feathers, and obviously blood...the snow immediately surrounding the center of the vic's remains was beaten flat with so many footprints that they were no longer distinguishable as footprints".
    He points to one of the crime scene fotos.
    [​IMG]

"What's the story on the usual suspects"?

"Boss, the ferrets, weasels and stoats all have alibis, not surprizingly. The owls and falcons couldn't be reached, but we didn't find any take-off wing prints in the snow."

"Ok then, did anyone find weapons at the scene"? There was no reply.

"Did anyone find any footprints leading to the scene from outside the tape—footprints that were anything other than avian"?
    Again there was silence.
    "Did anyone find any signs or evidence that specifically I haven't seen already this morning"?
    The group murmured and moaned.

Erik strongly insisted, "With all those footprints and the degree to which the vic was torn apart in a really gruesome way, I'd have to say, that that alone, is evidence of foul play. There are bits of brain tissue present, for goodness sake"! He points to exhibit one.
    [​IMG]

"'Foul play', indeed"! I cut my eyes in his direction sternly.

"Sorry, boss", Erik apologized.

"Ok, look—if the victim had, say, fallen dead from old age or something, the body would have lain there until a Magpie found it. And when others saw that the Magpie was eating, then more would have joined in. Nothing is left to waste in nature, you all know that.
    I say Magpie, but it could have been Jackdaws or even crows coming in to simply scavenge. Is that not possible"?

They agreed reluctantly, if not disbelieving.

"If you are suggesting accidental death, boss—then I would also like to say that a chase could have ended right there under the Ceanothus. The bird could have been pursued by an owl or perhaps a sparrow hawk, or the like...and was caught and devoured where it fell.
    That would make the vic's death not accidental, in the sense of a 'natural death'".

"Interesting idea, Sas. The pursuit angle can't be ruled out.
    By the way, Sas—were there any witnesses"?

"I didn't find any, sir. If there were some, they are not coming forward".

Jan shouts, "You were too late for the witnesses, Sas...haven't you ever heard that the early bird gets the worm? Ha ha ha ha"

--the men began to crow, a wave of snickering and chuckles arise.—
    Saskia sighs, rolling her eyes up in her head and gritting her teeth.

"Right. Ok then boys and girls...
    So, 1— We cannot conclusively determine that there definitely was an avicide; we are left with the possibilities of either accidental death secondary to being chased or a flight error on the part of the vic; or that the bird simply died of natural causes and was later scavenged.
    2-- There was devastation of the corpse that took place during, before or after its demise. We shall perhaps never know the sequence of events that left such a mess at the site.
    3--Our illustrious ghoul downstairs tells me that the various parts that were discovered and catalogued were feathers, brain tissue, skull fragments, a mandible and blood. The results of the bird faeces was inconclusive, but it seemed too much to have belonged to the vic alone."

"I guess the scavenger was just making more room for the feast, eh boss"?

"The final things to determine here are the type of bird and its sex.
    The only things we have to go on are the remaining feathers and the mandible. Does anyone have any ideas here"?

Erik shouts, "A sparrow? Its feathers are brown".
    "The feathers look too dark and there is a definite yellow colour to part of what appear to be the wing feathers. I direct your attention to exhibit three...
    [​IMG]
    ...These are feathers taken from the scene".

"Is the mandible in exhibit two, that of a titmouse, boss"?
    [​IMG]

"Well, the tip is pointed and black, which rules out a sparrow and finch as well as a host of other birds in those classes, don't you agree"?
    "Yes...mmmm", they mumble in agreement.

"The mandible shape and colour rule out those we just mentioned, plus the chaffinch is still present. The titmice have pointy bills, but the feathers are too brown—theirs are more greyish. Any more ideas out there"?

"What about a wren, boss?" chirps Jan.

"Yes, what about a wren, they are brown...are their bills black and pointy"?

"Their bills are dark but a bit curved downwards and yellowish back where the bills hinge, just like the mandible that we found".

"That is true, but it doesn't explain the yellowness of the wing feather that we found," I said.

"Boss, the yellowness on that wing feather looks like a robin's, the Erithacus rubecula".

"Woe-ho"!
    "Listen to professor Saskia"!
    --The guys jeer--

"Well guys—just because you aren't up on your Latin names, you don't need to let your inferiority complexes show".
    --The men heaved in a howl of protest ......

"Ok, ok-- let's settle down. What makes you draw the conclusion that it's a robin"?

"Simple, boss—the redish-yellow colouration on the wing feather. I believe that this species of bird has this colouration pattern. Eric has already pointed this out and I agree with him". She points to exhibit three, and Erik grins in childish pride.

"Can you prove that, Sas"?

"...erm...well, no, boss, not at the present—but neither the husband nor wife robin has been seen since then".

"Well, I'm afraid that that suspicion isn't good enough to close the case. The coroner tells me to be certain about the sex and type of the vic, a DNA eval will be necessary, sadly we don't have the budget for that...so that's not an option.
    This mystery shall have to remain open until such a time that more conclusive evidence comes forward.
    No corpse identification and no perp--"

"An X-File, boss"?
    I looked at him.

"Ermmm...I.... What I ment to say was, shall I just file it in the cold case archive, boss?....Yes, I'll file it in the cold case archive.

2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

:D Well written Sjoerd :D
    I shouldn't be chuckling...murder is a serious crime ;)

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, my, excitement galore at the lottie it seems. :D I hope it wasn't a robin. I like those little birds a lot.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really enjoyed reading that Sjoerd. Well written and very entertaining!! :-D

The crime scene looks very like the sparrowhawk kill sites we have appearing in our garden. The circular apearance of the remaining grizzly remains and feathers suggest that the victim was eaten on the spot. Those feathers have been plucked out rather than chewed on so I think further investigation may prove fruitless. The murderer will be well away by now and, no doubt, carrying on his dasterdly deeds somewhere else in his prefered hunting zone. Definately looks like a serial killer is at work in your area.

Advertisement
  5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Haha Sjoerd that was very entertaining, you obviously are a fan of crime shows. Have you ever published any writings?

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chuckle...thanks for your remarks, folks.

No Frank, I've never published any writings.
    I do quite enjoy certain British crimi's.

Well, Eileen--my first impression was a torenvalk (kestrel) or a sperwer (sparrowhawk) too, simply because of the debris pattern and the bits. So I agree with your analysis.
    I have seen them on the lottie from time to time. It's just an odd area for a hawk to strike (being so cramped at that spot), because there is no way it could have had a long approach, if you know what I mean.

I am quite sad that we have lost a bird, especially since I have the feeling that it was a robin. I know that it's nature and all that...but I still find it a shame.

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I love murder mystries and that certainly entertained me .Very well written Sjored. Bravo

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks, Glenda. It was fun to write, but sad to loose a little friend.

9. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Enjoyed your commentary. I wish you could send your perp over to my yard to take care of the rabbits who are eating down my shrubs again this winter (although I have seen a fox in the area who may do the trick).

10. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Good job, Sjoerd! You have a wonderful imagination and a talent for writing. So sorry you had to find the remains on your lottie and I hope you gave him a proper burial - when the lab was through with the evidence that is.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Kasey...once the perp had neutralized all the waskiwwy wabbuts here, I'll send him your way. ;)

Yes, the remains'll receive a proper burial when the investigation has concluded.
    If I ever find out who did it, I shall give it a 21-gun "salute". :)