David Austin Roses

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Doghouse Riley, May 11, 2020.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley In Flower

We bought several of these on-line in bare root in November.

So far we're pleased with what we got.

These are the first two to produce a bloom.

Olivia Rose Austin

[​IMG]

Desdemona

[​IMG]

Frank, Odif, Cayuga Morning and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've bought some David Austin roses in the past but didn't pay full price for them as they were 'lost label roses.' I may not know their names but they certainly haven't disappointed me and their blooms are gorgeous..

4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley In Flower

That's the problem sometimes with roses in garden centres. Occasionally labels are lost or fall out of the pot and get put back in the wrong one. We've a rose my wife doesn't like as it's red, (she says it reminds her of funerals)
    When we bought it over a decade ago it was supposed to be white. But it's a really nice rose. So it's been moved around in the garden.

It first got banished to half way down the garden. Here it is in 2012. I grew it up a redundant bird feeder, (they didn't like it).

It became a bit of a joke between us, she said. "From the French windows I can see that rose looking at me!" So the following year I cut it right back, it eventually ended up in "the alley of shame," which gets little sun, but it's outlived several others that got banished there.

[​IMG]

eileen and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That red rose of yours looks exactly like one of my 'lost labels.' I love it as it flowers for a long period and has so many blooms.