Daylight Savings Time--Doggone!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Mar 11, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Here in the U.S. we have a quaint custom of messing up time-keeping twice a year. March 10th at midnight was when Daylight Savings Time kicked in (don't expect a rational explanation how this saves daylight or energy).
    Now my day starts an hour later because it's dark when I do my usual chores. I can't clean out the coop in the dark--disturbs the hens beauty sleep. Cultivating the gardens with a flashlight in one hand is very difficult. At 8 a.m. I'm doing what I usually do at 7 a.m.
    Then, at the end of the day when I'm tired and just want to sit on the patio and enjoy the ambiance, there's a full hour of "working light" left! Doggone!
    When my hubby retires we are going on "sun time" and forgetting about springing ahead and falling back.

carolyn likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I would love to start a petition for "the powers that be" ... change the darn clock one half hour either way and LEAVE IT!
    :sete_069:
    I can adapt to this easier than in the Fall. Since I leave home at 7a for work, the mornings don't matter. And I don't usually get home until 5-5:30p.
    So I do enjoy that extra evening daylight.

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I was 20 mins late for work this morning because I had no idea the time was changing today :scheming: Why why why does it have to change??? Its an antiquated (sp?) concept!

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I hate the time changes too! It always takes me a good 2 weeks to get back to normal. I can't wait to go on 'sun time' too marlingardener!!

Advertisement
  6. Annette

Annette Seedling

i agree...it is an old practice that probably doesn't need to be used any more...and now they've extended it, starting earlier and ending later. i'll have to do a little research to find exactly why it was started in the first place. it's just another way we humans think we can outsmart mother nature & father time!...lol

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Daylight Saving Time is practiced in many countries around the world, being more common in the northern hemisphere than the southern. A man in New Zealand started proposing it there in 1895. But the majority of the countries either have stopped using it or never signed up for it to begin with.

Many countries used DST during WWI in order to conserve coal during wartime and again during WWII. but after 1945 in this country it became a local thing...your city/county/state observed it if they wanted to but no one was required to.

In 1966 it became a country wide observance here, but again individual areas could opt out.

The countries that do observe it each have their own beginning and ending dates and not necessarily are any two the same.

There are as many reasons to observe it as there are people in the world. One man in the UK wanted to play golf later in the day and wrote a paper on it, that proposal was taken up by a member of Parliament who lobbied for many years to have it become law.