De-feeding the squirrels

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by veebur, Mar 11, 2009.

1. veebur

veebur New Seed

When I lived in Vermont we always waited till the first moon in June to plant out in the garden. Is that still the case?

Here in Virginia I'm able to plant cold weather crops outside in the end of March/beginning of April and feel lucky to do so.

But I still don't plant summer veggies like peppers and tomatoes until Memorial Day weekend -- guess that old "frost could happen anytime" mentality from Vermont is still with me!

2. GDane123

GDane123 New Seed

This thread just made me realize that I put my flower garden right in the area of my backyard where the squirrels dig to hide their food every year. Uh oh...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I am planting the peas this weekend. They can handle the cold and hopefully the really cold nights are long past. Memorial Day weekend is normally when people put in their gardens here but I wait until the first weekend in June. I can't chance a frost and loosing all the plants that I have worked so hard to grow. I may put in my pepper plants a bit earlier since i have small structures that are like greenhouses and will protect them. I will be planting my sunflowers in the next week or so as well.

4. veebur

veebur New Seed

You're right, GDane! Just keep an eye on that area and maybe they won't dig this year.

Good to hear you wait until that first weekend in June, Gardenmama. I was in the home center this past weekend watching folks buy their tomato plants. I told the clerk it was too early for tomatoes even in Virginia.

She disagreed and I reminded her that we always have one more frost before our 5-15 frost free date. Told her I'd see all the others when they came in to buy more tomato plants in a few weeks time...

My peas are up and the lettuce is flourishing. Here's a photo or two...

Vic

[​IMG]
    Spring Garden ( photo / image / picture from veebur's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Romaine ( photo / image / picture from veebur's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Lettuce and peas ( photo / image / picture from veebur's Garden )

Advertisement
  5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That's a very neat contraption you have there, Veebur. Did you build it? Do you plant later things in there after the peas and lettuce? Where are you in VA?

GDane, hope your squirrels don't dig up your stuff!

6. veebur

veebur New Seed

Hi daisybeans!

Yes, we designed it and built it and it's great for folks who don't want to bend or kneel to garden. It's tailored to your height so that all planting, weeding, watering and harvesting are waist high.

I plant summer veg like peppers, tomatoes, onions and shallots as well as herbs after the lettuce and peas are done.

Check out www.garden-rack.com for more info.

I'm in Urbanna, VA which is about an hour east of Richmond on the Rappahannock River. Just drove past Annapolis on my way to Philly about 2 weeks ago. Beautiful town!

Veebur

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Oh, I've got a very dear friend who lives in the Urbanna area. I hear you have an awesome oyster festival in the Fall. I love Virginia, and that part is lovely, isn't it? I lived in Norfolk/VA Beach for five years a while ago.

I really like that rack. I'm gonna check out the website now (and then have to rush to get to work on time!!)

Thanks.

8. veebur

veebur New Seed

Yes, the Urbanna Oyster Festival is great. Always the first weekend in November.

Have a good one!

Veebur