De-Skunking da Dawg

Discussion in 'Pets' started by cherylad, Dec 28, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

On Christmas day my dog decides to play with a skunk.
    She didn't get a "full" spraying... but she STUNK!
    And there were no stores open. So, we got out the shampoo and gave her a good bath. She still stunk so, she had to spend the night in the laundry room. We put out a small electric heater, because it was pretty cold.
    So before I headed into town today to buy tomato juice (the most common thing I've heard of for de-skunking).. I did an online search and found something that is supposed to work better... and is much less expensive.
    Mix one quart (32 ounces) of Hydrogen Peroxide (cost less than $1.00) with one quarter cup of baking soda (the whole box doesn't cost more than 50 cents) and 2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid (again... very inexpensive).
    We put her in her tub and just poured a bit at a time, making sure to rub it in really well all over her. After about 5 minutes, I rinsed her off. And it worked! No more skunky smell!
    She hated getting baths two days in a row... but she's thrilled to be able to come back inside the house!
    Oh yeah... I made sure to have another quart of peroxide on hand for the next time!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, your poor puppy! Two baths in two days--that's almost dog abuse.
    I'm glad you found a better solution for de-skunking than tomato juice. You wouldn't believe the color a white dog turns after a tomato juice bath . . . .

stratsmom likes this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh boy am I glad we don't have skunks here in Scotland. :rolleyes: I'm pleased that you found an easy, cheap and affective way to get rid of the dreadful odour Cheryl. Let's hope the next time your dog comes up against a skunk it'll high tail it in the opposite direction before getting sprayed.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

When Chance decided to play with a skunk we got a bottle of skunk deodorizer from the feed store. I notice that WalMart carries one in their pet dept. It goes a long way and we haven't had to use it since we moved to Texas but every once in awhile we smell one so we keep it handy.
    dooley

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

Jane... I'd never thought about it. But yes... what would someone with a white dog do when it was sprayed? Yikes... pink poodle! :eek:

Eileen... I think she actually went back and got near it a second time, because that's when we REALLY noticed it.

Dooley... I'll have to check at the feed store next time to see if they have that.
    But in the meantime, I have the ingredients on hand to at least combat a "near hit".
    Phew! What if she had really taken a "direct hit"!
    Double Phew!

6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Well, I learned two things. How to de-skunk a dog and...........NO skunks in Scotland! How did Scotland get overlooked when they were passing out the skunks?? I wonder if Pepe Le Pew knows about this?

Jerry

stratsmom likes this.
  7. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

There is a product that is made just for sunk smell removal! Works great. We sell it at the Vet Clinic where I work. It is called Skunk Off. It neutralizes the spray from the skunk. There is a liquid and also a shampoo. Leaves no after smell.
    Just FYI I keep a bottle on hand all the time.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Poor Cheryl,..poor Chance as well!,..as we don't have Skunks here in Ireland its hard to imagine what the Skunk smell is like,..its obvious it lingers,..grin!,..and must be unpleasant somewhat,..i guess that's an understatement,..but i can well imagine the urgency in getting something to cleanse poor Chance,..as my Molly tends to roll in dead fish i go down the road of urgently needing a freshly smelling dog.

9. cherylad

Oh jeez... I can almost smell that skunk again just reading this post! :eek:

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

11. cherylad

Oh Philip... I hadn't heard that song in ages! :D

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

What a Christmas present!...hopefully I will never have to use the recipe...thank you.

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thank you, Philip. Now you know what I'll be humming all day long (and possibly into the night). :setc_070:

14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have never heard that song before...thanks for sharing.

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well Philip, I have never heard that song, but can tell you I have never seen so many dead skunks on the road as I have this year already. Every time I go somewhere there seems to be a new collection of freshly "dead in the middle of the road" ones for me to navigate. Obviously, we have had a warmer than normal winter, is all I can attribute it to.

Do you have skunk cabbage growing in your swampy areas, there? or in Scotland? If you do, rub it and you will get the exact essence of skunk "parfume". Maybe not, I went to find the scientific name and it is Lysichiton Americanus...sounds like it is indigenous to here. there is a form that grows in Asia, also.