Dead grass puppy potty spots in the back yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by perefalcon, Apr 21, 2009.

1. perefalcon

perefalcon New Seed

So, does anyone have any info on how to keep this from happening or what I should treat the already affected areas with before reseeding? It only seems to happen after they go on the snow in winter, then in spring I've got a bunch of terrible dead zones.

2. Loading...

3. perefalcon

perefalcon New Seed

does no one have answers on this one? or is my title a bit creepy ( just realized it BTW LOL)

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The only way to stop these patches appearing in your grass is to try and train you pups to 'go' on a designated area of the garden. Their urine is alkaline and that is what is causing the dead zones. Instead of re-seeding why not attempt to revive the lawn with a weed and feed (you can get this from any good garden centre) it may save you a lot of work. :-D

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Don't know about anyone else but I missed this post entirely.

Are you sure the dead spots are from your puppy?
    You could have grubs, they create dead spots in the lawn to by eating the roots. Grubs or Grubworms are the larvae of beetles. And spring is the time when the damage shows up.

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

haha. I knew exactly what you were talking about. In a previous home, my big dog had the same impact on my grass. We trained her to go to a specific part of the yard (behind the shed) that wasn't so visible and that worked out well. Also easier to clean up after her. Easier for other people to care for her if we went away. She was easy to train -- didn't take long at all. Here are some links with some suggestions.

http://www.allaboutlawns.com/lawn-maint ... y-lawn.php

http://dogs.about.com/od/dogcarebasics/ ... _burns.htm

(The 2nd link talks a little about the training process. I highly recommend that... makes life with dogs so much easier if you have a small yard)

7. civicboyfl

civicboyfl New Seed

yeah, the title caught my eye. I though "Huh? A dead puppy with potty spot. What the heck?"