Dealing With The Hot Weather.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Doghouse Riley, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Dealing with the heat can be a problem. Taking a couple of cooling showers during the day, actually is quite an effort and as our bathroom is at the back of the house, it's like an oven in there at this time of the day so we keep the blind down and the door shut.
    But from my childhood, when we had no fans, no freezer and only a bath, I've always used this sytem for reducing body temperature, shown me by my mother.

Hold the inside of your wrists under the cold water tap of a sink for five minutes, it's surprising how quickly that cools you down.

Droopy, Melody Mc., Logan and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We know that technique here as well, Riley—and you are right, it does work very well.
    In addition, I drink a lot of water and some juice. I feel that is also important to maintain a good level of hydration.

We also use ventilators (fans) on the ceiling and across the ground. If the Bride wants to show iff, she whips out her Spanish fan and begins to spout Spanish phrases.

That takes me back to that year we lived in Granada, Spain. We took a bus out into the countryside to a mountain village called Monachil. From there we hiked up higher into the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. We had discovered a wonderful place while hiking up there.

In Granada the temps would get up into the 40’s for days on end, so we fled the city most days and return with the last bus out of Monachil. The place in the hills was a small Chasm where there was a fracture in the ancient Moorish aquaduct that carried icy water from the high Sierra mountains to Granada. That water was too cold to stand under, but il cooled the shadowy chasm. Heck, we just took a blanket, water and food for the day. We read and worked puzzles to keep us occupied. It was so cold there—what a relief from the heat of southern Spain.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

What a wonderful memory!

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I regret that I have degenerated to starting the yard day with a pile of 4 shirts and shorts and socks. I may have 4 showers by the time the day is over as well.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I must try it but the water from the tap is hot so I guess I'll have to use iced water :)

I usually go topless with a towel to wipe my sweat and the fan at full speed. Taking a shower is out of the question because the water is not warm but hot and I will still be sweating while showering.

We are getting some rain now so it is a little cooler but when the rain stop the temperature will just go up again :(

Daniel W, Sjoerd, Logan and 2 others like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Wow @KK Ng HOT water from the tap!? When I read something like that it makes me realize how little i know about life elsewhere.

eileen and Logan like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

KK— why don’t take a mandi instead of a shower.

Logan likes this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

If you have a cold shower got to be careful how cold the water should be, it could cause a shock to the system. I've found having a little pump spray filled with a fragranced body spray cools me down.

Can get gel mats to lie on, put them in the fridge, it lasts for a few hours.

Daniel W, eileen and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I forgot to mention, i walk around the house in my underwear, not a pretty sight. I've also gone in the back garden just by the house, did that without hubby noticing we're not overlooked by the neighbours, it's the way the houses are.

Droopy, Daniel W, eileen and 2 others like this.
  11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Haha Old Ed Blake worked his summer garden one day like nobody should ever see. He had these yellow calf high rubber boots, a straw hat and a speedo.

12. Cayuga Morning

@Logan I pop in our pool in just a t shirt & underwear, but shhhh, don't tell! I get so hot working on our landscaping & the pool is so inviting. Like your yard, it's secluded too.

Daniel W, Logan and eileen like this.
  13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Yes CM hot water from the tap. Here the pipe lines from the public mains into the house is not buried deep in the ground, only about a foot the deepest and sometimes it is above ground and we have a water tank in the ceiling to cater to the bath room. The water gets hot fast on a hot day.

Sjoerd, to save space most houses do not have a bath tub or a place to place a water container so it is not possible to have a bath the traditional way ... "mandi." When I was in Bruges, the family I was staying with have a outdoor bath in the garden and we take our bath there during summer. It is nice and the water from the tap is cold. If the water from the tap here is just cool, I'll build a outdoor bath in my garden, covered off course :D

Cayuga Morning, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh KK, I had no idea that homes there did not have one. I find a mandi such a handy way to bathe and it saves on water a bit.
    Good luck with your construction plans.
    BTW— some places that we stayed has tiny fish in their water receptical to keep the mozzie larvae under control. Dengue fever and malaria being a threat in some places.

Logan likes this.
  15. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Ha ha i had to look up the word Speedo, it's swimming clothing for men? Over here they're called swimming trunks or briefs. The ladies it's a swimming costume or a two piece is a bikini.
    :)

Cayuga Morning and Dirtmechanic like this.
  16. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I should have said "Mankini". One of those things than can never be unseen! Really though the heat index today has been raised to 107f so I can understand poor fashion choices, even back when he was alive.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022