Did a little "Curbside shopping" this morning

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Jan 15, 2008.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It is common practice to place things that might be useful to someone else out on the curb at least a couple of days before trash day, that keeps some really neat stuff from going to the landfil. If it is still there on Wednesday then the trash men take it away.
    We have gotten rid of several things that way but I am painfully shy about taking things off the curb, especially if I think there is someone around who will see me. And as a result I have let some really cool stuff slip away :'(

But not this morning.
    This chair was put out Sunday afternoon across the street. I promised myself I would get it yesterday after everyone had gone to work...forgot. But this morning I did it. It is not in good enough condition to replace the seat but I see it painted a pretty color and sitting out in the shade garden with a plant growing thru it, just for fun.
    [​IMG]

The people next door have had this wheelbarrow in their back yard for several years, not used just laying there. Every time I have worked in my yard over by the fence between us, I have lusted after it.
    Last night it was on the curb in front of their house. I am thinking of painting it and filling it with red Impatients this spring.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. toni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. toni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Oh Toni!!!
    You have been blessed with these finds!!!

I can see bright yellow tickseed coreopsis coming up through the middle of that chair accompanied by heavenly blue and pimento red morning glories twining around the curves.

And what a grand wheelbarrow. What color will you paint it. I can imagine those red impatiens now. (Sigh) :setf_030:

4. toni

Wow, Song, thanks for the lovely flower ideas for the chair...I love those colors.
    I was thinking in the shady area since I have more room there, but with a little rearranging of some things I think I can find a place in full sun for it. :stew2:

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

You have it bad Toni :-D Great finds. What colour were you thinking of painting the wheelbarrow?

Advertisement
  6. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Toni those are great finds,, that chair i did once until it all fell apart to a regular chair,, no seat in it,, but i stapled chicken wire, let it kind of hang a little, the used moss, then dirt, an planted different plants in it... okay i had herbs,lol. i had thyme an lemmon thyme, an used some verigated ivy to hang over an creep all over it. it was fun.

the wheel barrow,, geeez i see so many possiablities with that one. thats here too, we have a wooden wheel barrow, that uncle refuses to let me have,,,lol.. probably because its the only one we have here,, but i just keep seeing my mints in that one... sigh maybe someday.

great finds,, an please post when you have finished with them. I'm curious to see.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oooh, that rocking chair is a lovely piece! I like the rusty hue of the wheelbarrow too. I'm looking forward to seeing them once you've got them outside and planted them.

8. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Excellent finds Toni!!

9. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Well done, Toni! You picked up some very kewl goodies, there. :D
    I look forward to seeing them worked into your beautiful garden,
    I know that you will make them look great.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Great finds toni .I like your ideas.They will look great in your yard this spring.

11. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Great plans for these, and a teacup bird feeder on the arm of the rocker would be cute too!

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Good thinking............

We do that here also......
    So me folks even take the bed head and foot boards and use it for a FLOWER BED ...I Had to chuckle of that one..
    b

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great finds Toni! I been thinking about Zuzu's lettuce in her wheelbarrow and want to try that this year. Red Impatiens would look nice too.

14. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Probably any low growing flower would do.. geraniums . Petunias.....Assylums.

b

15. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Red Impatiens in a "John Deer" or "hunter" enameled green wheelbarrow gets my vote . . . . maybe white enamel trim . . . :D

Toni . . . I don't think you'll need very much more than a little morning sun . . . I had the coreopsis and heavenly blues one time when I lived at the edge of the woods, and they were up and blooming before I had my first cup of coffee . . . they don't require a lot . . . I saw the red and blue morning glories in a birds and blooms mag one time . . . it was spectacular!!! If you wanted to protect the chair, you could always paint it with white enamel paint, and change out your flowers each year . . .

Toni . . . the future of your curbside treasures are so bright that I gotta wear shades!!!! 8)

Are the rest of you familiar with freecycle.org???

PS I see Mr. Brown Thumb has already posted it in the sticky link section . . . . :stew2:
    It is a place where people post unwanted items, and you pick them up for free . . . be careful and read the guidelines of course . . . :rolleyes:

16. toni

Song,
    I am co-owner of a rEcycle list that used to be part of the freecycle network, I have used it many times for all sorts of goodies....the ladder I made into a squirrel buffet and a really tall one that will become a trellis next spring, a push mower, a plant stand, a side piece from a white metal daybed that is now a trellis for a Clematis and some fence panels (one of which fell on me last Feb). We got our son-in-law a tool box for the bed of his pickup from there. I have given away much more than I have gotten.

So many people do not know about either of those lists for giving away stuff so I try to drive around the neighborhood the day before trash pickup to see what I can find.