Did a little "Curbside shopping" this morning

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Jan 15, 2008.

1. LilyPlanter77351

LilyPlanter77351 Seedling

Those are great finds Toni, I miss curbside shopping since I moved from the city. I live in a smaller town with no heavy trash pick-ups and I am appauled when I go to garage sales and "antique" stores to find things most would normally put out at the curb described as "vintage" and "antique" and marked accordingly. I don't miss much about the city but I do miss great finds like this, I hope you post pictures once these great finds have been taken in by your garden!

donna in nc likes this.
  2. craft4fun

craft4fun New Seed

Great finds.

Jen

3. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

Hi toni; i'm new on stew today & was just thrilled to find a forum for "junkers". I'm 61 & have curbside shopped forever. Found some amazing things, too. I adore the old wheelbarrow you picked up! It's gonna be just awesome in your garden. I have another source for "free stuff".I just post on craigslist under "wanted" and boldly ask for it for free.... and I usually, sooner or later, get it! Tomorrow i'm picking up one of those tubular steel gazebos with a canvas canopy, so I can create a " peacefulroom" on my patio. Yup.... free! My greatest freebie from craigslist was kitchen cabinets, counters & sink. A contractor answered my ad & he was taking these out of a model home.... never even used! Not only did he give them to me, he & his helpers loaded it all & tied it in my truck!

Frank and Tooty2shoes like this.
  4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow those are some great finds. All of the suggestions sound good. We have an old wheelbarrow sitting in our barn that has some rusted threw spots in it. But I still use it to clean out the goat stalls. I figure it would be happier if it being used than me planting something in it. It sounds silly I know. I just may end up in my garden this year as the tire doesn't hold air very good anymore. Yes I have used craigslist and freecycle to get, Free stuff of course. :-D
    When I still lived in Sturgeon Bay, Wis they had one day in the spring called, Spring Clean Up Day. You could put anything, and I mean anything out on the curb and the city would come and haul it away.
    Well let me tell you it was a junkers dream come true. :-D :-D All that free stuff! I just about went crazy driving around and picking up all sorts of neat things. There just wasn't enough time in one day to snoop out all the good stuff that went to the dump or was recycled.
    But what fun it was. I am having free stuff cravings. I better go check out those web sites listed above. Happy junking everyone. ;)

Advertisement
  5. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I live about 40 minutes from Rutgers University & every year when the college kids go home for summer, I absolutely clean up! These kids put out whole roomsful of furniture & some of it nice stuff. Last year I got an antique smoker's table with the original glass humidor, a like new glass-top dining table & chairs.... which I turned around & sold on craigslist for $125.00! I am eagerly awaiting the end of school in June! Every year I completely fill up my pickup truck with great stuff. I've even gone back for a second load once or twice.

6. Zinnia

Zinnia Seedling

Hey toni! i always feel if it is still there after I said I'd get it and didn't , then it was meant to be:) Enjoy your finds! I can't wait to see them in bloom!!

7. Carol Blue-Garcia

Carol Blue-Garcia Seedling

Why can't the chair be reused at a chair? Just cut a plywood seat and back for it, upholster, easy to do, and use it. Of course, if you don't need a chair, then using it in the yard is perfect.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The wheelbarrow has been a planter since I got it, each year planted with something different. This year it's got a red-white-blue color theme....
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The chair has been used as a vine trellis and is probably on it's last leg as the years of sitting out in the weather have taken their toll. But I will be painting it, gluing some of the strips back down and using it again this year for a bean vine.
    Carol, the chair was in very weak condition when I got it back in 2008, it would not have supported anything heavier than a pot plant.

9. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

great find lucky