Did you have help planning your flower bed?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by koszta kid, Nov 6, 2011.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Some of the flower walks I have been on lately. Found they didn't plan the bed,plant them or take care of them Guess I wish I had the know-how $$$ to do do that .But some of these places was million $$$ homes.

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

My garden didn't cost so much to get started and it just sort of fell together depending on the water flow as I am on a hill.

The most expense in my garden was adding plants. It has cost is a small fortune. That's why I am propagating as much as I can from what we have already. I will be adding what I grow to my new gardens in the Spring.

Barb in Pa.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

No help (except for stealing a few ideas).
    Well... Hubby did build the fence... and brothers did help with build the "water trough". But I dug the beds, put in the borders and planted everything.
    I get to take all the blame and credit! :D

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yep, like Cheryl....blame or credit is all from my work.
    First I can't afford to hire a landscaper/gardener....Second I have my own ideas of what should be in my garden and don't want anyone telling me what they think should be planted out there and where ;)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

No help here either. I wanted an organic, wildlife garden so planted everything up myself. Ian did give a hand with digging holes for trees and carting around wheelbarrows full of soil though.

7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I keep a photo journal from year to year. I use it to repeat what I liked or what worked well. And to remember what I planted where. That's all the help I get. I'm with Toni, don't want anyone telling what to do with my gardens.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Wish I had the $$$ to have someone help with the maitenence. Having someone weed, clean beds and hedge would be heavenly.

Telling me what to plant? That's a no, no. :)

I have found that my garden has changed drastically over the years as things have matured or succumbed to my habits or microclimates and evolution of different pets with different habits.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

No, no help planning my flower beds, and believe me, it shows! I fall in love with a plant, find a spot for it, and my flower beds are an eclectic mix of plants, ornamental grasses, shrubs, and something the birds planted.
    I don't like regimented flower beds, and when the homeowner has no idea of what they have nor of how to care for the plants, I feel very sorry for them. Checkbook gardeners don't have as much fun as us dirt gardeners!

10. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

marlingardener, I know exactly what you mean because I am the person who has designed, planted and maintains these people's landscapes. I often wonder why some of my customers don't seem to care about their plantings. I don't understand that, how they don't love their plants (?) but then I wouldn't have a job if they did! Sometimes when I am grumbling about the weeds at a job, I stop myself and remember- it is my job security!
    My own gardens have a plan for the "bones" consisting of the trees and shrubs. The perennials and annuals I don't really do a set design, I just know what I like. It all just seems to come together and make sense as I go. Every year there are things that need changing. I look forward to my garden evolving as the years go by.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I think my neighbours would have preferred that someone other than me planned and maintained my garden. :D It's under constant construction and I walk my plants a lot every year. So far we've got a couple of spots that are done to our satisfaction but since I can't keep my hands to myself in nurseries we keep expanding and moving about. :oops:

I don't think we would have liked a professionally planned garden. I've seen a few, and even though they're lovely they sort of lack the whimsical touch that we like (and have in abundance :D ).

12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My place is an old farmstead. Much of my garden was inherited from former occupants. I have also done tons of rearranging things, and planting new things. My sons have helped with some of the heavy work, like my rockwork walls, and hauling rocks home. Friends have occassionally helped out with heavy chores like cutting down dead or dying trees, cleaning up after terrible ice storms, etc. I do appreciate their help, but at the same time some unintentional mistakes have happened, and they did not mean to make them.

I have never had the funds to invest a lot of $$$$ into my place, so I trade around with other gardening friends, and do a lot of propigating on my own. I get ideas from magazines and gardening books, but I have a lot of my own ideas too.

I prefer to do most of my own work, because I usually know what is planted where [ok, sometimes I forget and might accidently pull the wrong plants :oops: ] but usually I know where I planted things and what they are. Those mystery seedlings this spring are dianthus, one bloomed the first summer for me, and they are doing great. I am looking forward to those gorgeous flowers next summer.

My garden is not yet perfect, but I love it, and lots of people compliment me on it.

Frank and Cayuga Morning like this.
  13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I do wish I had read more about some plants I was given. You know that TAKES over And Roots go to China.Like Goose Neck. God I hate that plant. We do help Doctor Customer take of Her flower beds. DH takes him 4 hours to mow.And I bought knee pads and My type of gloves at Her house. Her and I are going Bulb shopping.

14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My gardens are all my own work too. They are constantly changing and growing. Most of my plants were splits from friends or grown from seed. My garden budget has gone mostly to trees and shrubs for the last few years so I look forward to splurging on some new plants next year! I still want to get 2 or 3 apple trees as well.

15. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Since I'm married to (Johnny Apple Seed) have many apple trees and pear and cherry trees. We share with other church member. Lost a few from wind and flooding
    Had fried apples last night. Been trying to add more soil and raise beds out of harms way. + it keeps water away from house. Looking at many design books this winter. Draw some plans out. I need to divide even more-so I can weed easy. And spread mulch.

16. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

No, I didn't, so I have to own my mistakes. I wish I had made more curvy edges and some of the bushes I planted in narrow side yards are becoming hazardous to the eyes. I need to prune back harder I guess. Even with the mistakes, I find such joy to walk around my gardens.

AAnightowl likes this.