Dieffenbachia not doing well in plastic pot, help

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Nanci, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Nanci

Nanci New Seed

Hello:
    I just joined GardenStew a few minutes ago. My husband and I live in N.C. and I've been into houseplants since I can remember. Earlier this year I bought several DIffenbachia plants and they are all doing just fine, with the exception of one. I had repotted 2 of my middle sized ones since they were still in 'the store' pots and needed to come out. One I put in a clay pot and it's back in it's area in our bedroom with some other plants...doing just fine. The other just about the same size and also very healthy was put into a decorative plastic pot. That one went back to it's spot in our mud room which is nice and sunny with indirect light and is on the shelf with alot of other types of plants..all fine.Both pots have drainage holes in them also. I repotted them about 1 week ago. I noticed this morning the plastic potted one is all droopy. I can't figure out why? It's moist having just been watered yesterday as was the other one and all the plants. The clay potted one is fine in the bedroom..no problem. Is it the container mabe? I don't want to move it as it's been there for months and is very used to that spot. I just don't know what to think. There's no yellowing of the leaves either. Any suggestions would be so helpful!:(

Philip Nulty and Silkie like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi and welcome to GardenStew.
    It could be the pot....plastic pots with a drainage hole have only one way for excess water to escape where clay pots are very porous and the excess water can evaporate through the sides of the pot.
    I would suggest going ahead and taking the wilted one out and putting it in a clay pot of fresh soil. You can keep it in the same location just use a clay pot instead.

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Hi and welcome to gardenstew.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to our forums Nanci. I hope your plant will be fine after it's repotted. I hope you'll stay with us a tell a little about yourself.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Welcome to GardenStew Nanci.

7. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Hi & welcome! Dieffenbachias are so often suicidal. Don't take it too personally.

eileen and Philip Nulty like this.