Do you ever feel guilty over plants?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I planted a bunch of flowers in the spring for the porch. I posted plenty of pics of that porch and the pots in other forums, including my bitching about the damn squirrels that are now digging through the pot!

Anyway, here's my question. I still have a bunch of things planted that are getting leggy or just look tired.....some impatiens, one sweet potato vine, a couple of coleus, another kind of fuzzy plant whose name I don't remember, several others. They were all purchased as annuals, with the idea that they would add some splashes of color, some verdancy, to the back porch, and they succeeded at that well. They did a good job.

But now? Now they're tired and old and obviously ready to be done. And I feel SO guilty just ripping out what's left and tossing them. But I live in Tennessee so I know they won't last through the winter. I've already brought several of them inside because I cant stand to just toss them, and they're doing a bit better inside but still struggling. I don't think I've saved them, just prolonged their life a bit more.

Anyway, I feel guilty. Guilty that after all their hard work, all the pleasure and happiness they've given me, I'm just going to toss them in the garbage now that they've done their job! :crying:

How do you deal with the guilt????? :(

stratsmom likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Start a compost pile, barrel, dig a hole in the yard and put them in it....that way they will continue contributing to the health of your garden and the pleasure it brings you.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

quit fussing/feeling guilty. thank them for their contribution to your life.... but their season is over. you are wasting energy on them when you could be enjoying something else. they go to the compost pile to be recycled to help next years plants grow better.

Cayuga Morning, Ronni and Islandlife like this.
  5. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

They served their purpose. Hopefully you got some seeds from them/or not. If not, there is another packet of seeds with your name on it. In my case there are many annuals to say goodbye to also. Will I cry when they are all done? Nope I will have enjoyed the moment. Next year there will be many more packs(of seeds) in my future.

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

You sound like my Mom.....thanks Mom! :D

You're all right of course. There is just something so brutal about ripping out a plant that is still green, still has life in it, and cutting that life short.

And yes, trust me, I KNOW how dramatic that sounds! :eek: Just my weird thing, I guess. But your advice is well taken. I am going on my Hawaii trip weekend after next, and I'll be away two weeks so the plants that are left are better removed before I leave than to wither and die while I'm gone....that will make me even sadder!

So, next weekend's project--denude the remaining pots of their plants, give the back porch a makeover for its winter look, and start planning next spring's plantings!

carolyn and LIcenter like this.
  7. toni

I usually do not pull up annuals until there is no sign of them returning the next Spring. Our winters are typically warm enough to leave annuals where they are and see if they make it through.
    Until this past summer I had Petunias growing out front whose roots were not damaged so they came back every Spring for 4 years, I also have three Datura plants whose roots survive and put out new growth each Spring.

Ronni and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Hmmm. Well, so far at least, I've yet to have an annual come back after a winter here. And these are in pots, not in the ground, so I think that makes a difference doesn't it?

9. toni

We do have warmer winters than you but sometimes we have ice, snow and below freezing temps, those times I have put the pots in the backroom and kept them over winter.
    I don't usually put annuals in the ground, just in pots.

Ronni likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronni, I can SO relate to your post. I too am a closet guilty plant-thrower-outer. It is hard to do. They are living things, after all. I have an established perennial garden & the plants do need to be divided for their own health (or the health of their neighbors!) every so often. I try to pot the babies up for friends, but sometimes it is TOO MUCH work. I only have so much time in the day after all. So, I do throw some on the compost heap. Occasionally they flourish there. Growing bigger & healthier. Then, oh my goodness, what am I to do? Talk about guilt. I have been known to fish them out & put them in pots on my back stoop. I would show you a pic of them if I could post on this website. Suffice it to say we can still trod up & down the stairs but only barely & certainly not 2 abreast. My husband despairs of me. My children talk of 'An Intervention'. So far it is only talk than goodness. Please, please if any relatives of mine contact you about this 'Intervention', try to dissuade them! Really, I am not that bad. Yet.

stratsmom and Ronni like this.
  11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

:smt044 :rofl::smt043

This is TOO funny! I'll be sure and try and talk some sense into your relatives if they should approach me! ;)

I am glad to know I'm not the only one, makes me feel much better! And if we're sharing guilty war stories, I have crawled into the trash can and fished out plants that I threw away, just because I felt soooo guilty about tossing them. Fished 'em out and replanted them.

What is WRONG WITH ME????? :eek:

12. toni

Nothing is wrong with you, you are perfectly normal for a gardener!!!

Ronni likes this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

Too funny is right Ronni. I don't know if we are good for each other or really bad for each other!

Ronni likes this.
  14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I hate fall when I have to toss most of my containers. This year I found a couple of people that took quite a few of them and were going to try keeping them inside. I spend good money because I like to buy tropicals, well Wisconsin is far from being tropical...so out they go each fall.

Ronni and Cayuga Morning like this.
  15. kate

kate In Flower

Sad but I have to recycle my baby Begonias today whilst its not frosty today frost the other day killed them off. Toni's idea is good to pile the dead up in the garden. I usually pile up used compost, I had the odd plant come up in that before today.
    K

Cayuga Morning and Ronni like this.
  16. Cayuga Morning

Kate, I have too. I have an annual artemisia (?Dusty Miller) that has come back 3 times so far. This in a Massachusetts garden. You never know.