Do you have a hodge-pot?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by purpleinopp, Apr 14, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I wish I could find a stash of old wash tubs! I really need at least one more. Just might have to break down and buy a new one. :D
    I like the varieties you have put together!

purpleinopp likes this.
  2. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Thanks! Two were here, and I appropriated another one from the abandoned house next door. I love the size of them. If you ask me, their real life begins when they get a hole...! My Mom used to have some old, tall, metal milk bottles with the handles on the sides that were cool to plant in. Guess they finally rusted into that great planter box in the sky...

3. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

First of all,you gals are lucky to be able to get stuff out.Although it has been in 80s here the last couple days,we are in for a return of cold weather.I don't think we will get a hard freeze here but I've heard them mention snow.Hardly more than a few flakes here but it has kept me from planting flowers.
    Yep, those old galvanized tubs are a treasure & I have amassed a collection.Only thing is hubby doesn't like me to put holes in them.A friend once seen tubs planted here & started collecting them. Unfortunately she passed away & her hubby gave them to me. I treasure them.
    sewNsow

purpleinopp likes this.
  4. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I had no idea what a hodge pot was so learned something new... :) I actually took a plastic party ice/drink container and threw in marigold, purple euchanasia and cosmo seeds... only thing that's grown so far is the marigolds.. but I think I see some of the euchanasia sprouts.... I read about the violets and they sound gorgeous, going to have to look into those.... I've been dying to go get more flowers and flower seeds this week... lol. Have a good one :)

purpleinopp likes this.

Advertisement
  5. purpleinopp

Took some pics today, some updates on the hodge-potting here...

Maybe lipstick on a pig, but don't know what else to do with this fugly metal thing except hang pots on it...

[​IMG]
    Everything is slow to get going this year... ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Under the pecan tree...

[​IMG]
    Hodge-pots under pecan tree ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

So many plants in here, getting comfortable as neighbors...

[​IMG]
    Hodge pot ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

A new combination of Cordyline fruticosa, Tradescantia zebrina, Dracaena surculosa in the back. On the table is Tradescantia spathacea and Dracaena sanderiana, with some Alternanthera cuttings I put in there yesterday since the other two leaned away from each other more than I expected, leaving empty space.

[​IMG]
    Hodge pots on porch ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

A hodge of succulents, Tradescantia sillamontana, Senecio rowleyanus, two Crassulas. Just added the latter 3 to this pot yesterday.

[​IMG]
    Succulent hanging hodge ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

A little palm with Tradescantia zebrina, Begonia, Impatiens, Alternanthera.

[​IMG]
    Double-decker palm pot ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Thanksgiving cactus with Columnea and Begonia cutting.

[​IMG]
    Thanksgiving cactus with Columnea and little Begonia cutting. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Dracaena 'Janet Craig compacta' with Tradescantia zebrina.

[​IMG]
    Dracaena 'Janet Craig compacta' with Tradescantia zebrina ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Henry Johnson and donna in nc like this.
  6. cherylad

You've got some nice looking combinations.

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

PiO; you're using a GOOD camera and very good skills for these quite good-looking photos.. Thank you for posting them that we may enjoy your plants with you..
    Hank

purpleinopp likes this.
  8. purpleinopp

Thanks, and thanks! I do enjoy using DH's camera, and had to tweak the brightness on most of these once on computer. It was hazy yesterday. Always worry they'll look different on some other computer though after messing with them like that.

If others have pics, feel free to share here!!

9. purpleinopp

More hodge pots, I only have a few pots left with just one kind of plant. Guess I'm addicted... Who else is hodge'ing? I'd love to see some pics! Recently saw some red Hypoested paired with Maranta - that was extremely catchy!

Chocolate mint with Tradescantia 'Red Hill' and Selenicereus anthonyanus cuttings.
    [​IMG]

Sedum and rat tail cactus (thought it was dead when I bought the pot of Sedum) with
    Rhipsalis capilliformis.
    [​IMG]

Callisia fragrans, Tradescantia fluminensis and zebrina, wax Begonia, an unhappy Coleus cutting.
    [​IMG]

Thanksgiving cactus with Tradescantia sillamontana and other various cuttings.
    [​IMG]

This one I like a lot, all tiny leaves. Tahitian bridal veil (Gibasis geniculata,) Portulaca pilosa, Callisia repens, variegated Aptenia cordifolia. Parts of it are wilted since I just cut the ends off and stuck them in the pot.
    [​IMG]

A NOID burgundy Philodendron with wax Begonia, Coleus cutting.
    [​IMG]

donna in nc likes this.
  10. cherylad

Those look great. I have a couple things that need up-potting... maybe I'll have to "hodge-them-up" :stew2:

11. purpleinopp

Thanks! If that would make you happy, go for it! Would love to see a pic if you do. Imagine how many pots I'd need if these were all separate - not doable! More hodge'ing will occur when frost threatens I'm sure. Whatever can get plants through to next spring...

12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Here is a real hodgepodge pot. I initially started it for a praying hands hosta and some impatients. Then I had a dark leafed autumn joy tat needed a home. After I had scattered nasturtium seeds I had a few left and the pot looked thin so I scattered a few in the pot. Now it is one of my favorite pots. I never would have put pink and orange together, but it feels cheery to me now. :stew1:

[​IMG]
    Hodgepodge pot ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

cherylad and purpleinopp like this.
  13. purpleinopp

Jewel, it does to me too! Very cheery.

That variegated Aptenia in the pot with all small leaves had a bloom at one of the ends, I was kind of bummed about snipping that piece but know there would be a lot more flowers eventually if there were more actual plants and branches in there, so was willing to wait. But a couple days after snipping and sticking the cut piece back in the soil, even before the leaves recovered from wilting, the bloom was opening again. What a strong plant!

Here's another one not yet pictured here.
    [​IMG]
    Easter cactus with Callisia. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Is this (at link below) taking hodge'ing too far?
    http://www.gardenstew.com/viewtopic.php?t=30170

14. purpleinopp

Here are some other combos, greatly reducing the number of pots I have overall.

[​IMG]
    2 Plectranthus, Tradescantia zebrina, fluminensis, and pallida. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Pretty new Begonias added to base of tree, with Alternanthera and Hypoestes. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

The 3 dark pots hanging here need the sides jazzed up!
    [​IMG]
    Hodge of hodge-pots. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

15. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

What is a hodge-pot?