Do you have an electric lawnmower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by garden_newbie, Apr 7, 2010.

1. garden_newbie

garden_newbie Seedling

I do and I love it. I seem to be the only one in my whole neighborhood with an electric mower though.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Rhinomower
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Yes we do, and we've had it for *counting on my fingers* 14 years now. It's battery powered and we charge it overnight, so no cords. :D It sounds like a very busy bee, and is rather quiet. Our neighbour's diesel powered one sounds like a stone crusher in comparison, and they mow grass with their ear muffs on.

4. garden_newbie

garden_newbie Seedling

Yeah I think they could be quieter though. It would be cool if they were so quiet that you could mow at night :)

samtru likes this.
  5. Droopy

Yes, well, at least here when it stays light for 24 hours in summer. :)

garden_newbie likes this.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have had both types of electric mowers.
    Had the battery-plug in type 30+ years ago when we lived in Florida...really nice.
    We used to have a corded one here, hated the cord being in the way all the time. It died several years ago.
    Now we don't have any lawn left to mow so I don't have a mower at all.

7. Droopy

You're my hero, Toni. That's what I want too, eventually. :D

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Used to have an electric mower with a cord. Found the cord to be a nuisance if I was mowing alone. I looked at the newer battery ones recently -- love the battery idea but these were soooo heavy. Still looking. Thinking about a replacement...

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I have a very reliable old faithful gasoline lawn mower http://kk-lifenmemories.blogspot.com/2008/07/lawn-mower.html Today is the first time I heard of rechargable battery type and I think it is real cool 8) but I still haven't seen one yet in the lawn mower store here :'( anyway I am keeping my :fingerscrossed: that it would keep running for another 30 years before retiring :D

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Ha! I like your lawn mower blog alot, KK. Made me laugh. My mower is about 25 or 30 years old too... It still runs. I don't know why. Divine intervention, I believe, because I don't know how to service it -- so I don't. Poor thing. Once in a while the neighbor will do something to it. It starts, but usually needs more than one pull!

11. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Yea, I used to have one...actually I think I still have it somewhere. I hated it because it had a cord attached and it is forever old. I stopped using it cause the cord became such a hassle and it liked to eat them. It ate so many that I thought I might get electrocuted if I kept using it, so I switched to gas.

12. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Have a corded one and it sounds like an old crop duster prop plane. I want a cordless but will likely have to wait another year before I get one. To be honest I prefered my old push mower. Used it anywhere, anytime and anyplace without ever having to worry about anything except for sore arms and a tired back and legs.

13. garden_newbie

garden_newbie Seedling

Mine is corded and it never gets in the way. I followed the instructions and it said to start the mower closest to the outlet and work away. Because of this the cord is always on the side of the mower when I turn around. The only time it could get tricky is when working around trees, but I rather deal with that than inhaling gas fumes.

14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I always started at the house and moved away with each pass and never had a problem.
    One summer a friends son wanted to earn spending money by mowing yards so I hired him. I told him how to use the corded mower and went inside but his mom was sitting in the car yelling at him that when you mowed you had to do make a square around the yard and end up in the center. He mowed over the cord on about the second round, his Mom yelled at me about my stupid mower, the kid was too embarrassed to come back and his Mom and I weren't friends any more. Randy repaired the cord and I went back to mowing the yard.

15. jungseed

jungseed Seedling

I've never had an electric mower. I have a rather large yard. On the battery powered ones, how long does the battery run the mower before you need to recharge?
    We have two riding mowers and two gas push mowers here in WI. If we both go at it, we can be done in a little under 3 hours. So wondering if we could replace the push mowers with battery.
    Up in Canada we have one rider and two push mowers. Up there the rule is when you run a full gas tank dry, you get be done for the day.

16. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Daisybean :)