Do you soak seeds?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by marlingardener, Mar 22, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I haven't really tried the soaking method very much. But I have some darn Marigold seeds that don't want to sprout. Maybe I'll give it a try even though they aren't the "hard" seeds like everyone has mentioned.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

cherylad, what variety are they? I bought "Starfire Mix" from HPS and I got next to none of them germinate. I tried starting them 3 different times. Different containers, different mix. Absolutely no success on them. And I have never had marigolds not germinate.

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I soak 'cause my grandma told me to :-D I soak sweet peas, morning glories, nasturtiums

4. cherylad

Carolyn... they are seeds from some white Marigolds I had planted last year. Gorgeous flowers.

[​IMG]
    white Marigolds ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I harvested seeds from summer until almost winter.
    I tried starting some indoors with "under heat and grow lamps". Nothing.
    Put some in a planter outdoors. Nothing.
    That's why I was thinking of trying the soaking method.
    Or maybe this variety just doesn't produce viable seeds? What's it called "sterile"?

Advertisement
  5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

This years first set of Marigolds too did not germinate(seeds from last year) with hundreds more from three varieties there is still hope. The garden center is a last resort. :)

Jerry

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, Those are pretty. They could be sterile if they were from a hybrid plant last year and you purchased it or the seeds. Not every hybrid will bear a viable seed for harvest. I saw some seeds in a catalog I thought about buying that were sterile seeded, but I decided I didn't want to spend that much money on them. Seeds for white marigolds are very expensive, also. so maybe they are naturally sterile. I have no idea. Sometimes they need shade(short days) to germinate some are daylength neutral

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

When I used to plant seeds, I used the wet paper towel method in a baggie in a warm spot. :-D

8. cherylad

I've had those marigold seeds soaking for almost a week now in moist paper towel, in baggie out in the sun. Nada. Zip. Nothing. Guess they just aren't viable. I'll give just a little longer before tossing it out.
    Drats!

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl,
    Your white marigolds are hybrids, and sterile. Sorry!
    There was a contest sponsored by some seed company a few years back to produce a white marigold. The first year the whites were available commercially, the price was astronomical. The price has come down, and the seed is available from some catalogs, but they warn that the germination rate is fairly low.
    If you can't get them to germinate, I doubt anyone else could!

10. cherylad

Jane... I found them on the mark down rack last year. I actually thought they were carnations!
    I did see a pack of White Marigold Seeds the other day at one of the big box stores, but didn't pick them up until I gave these another try.
    Oh well... it's not like I JUST HAD to have them! :-D

11. chloe3789

chloe3789 New Seed

I did try soaking seeds one year, I can't remember the flower, but they were quite large black seeds. They did germinate, so I planted them, and they died in the pot, I guess because they never did grow.. :(
    So now I stick to my grab a handful of seeds and scatter method, works every time! LOL

12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

The only seeds I soak overnight are Sweet Pea flower seeds. Usually all of my veggies come up fine.
    One thing I do with my sown carrot seeds is to put a 1/2" thick by 3"board on top of the rows. It helps the soil stay warmer and protects the seed when it rains from being washed away or buried to deep. After a week I check under the board to see if they have sprouted. If not, I just keep checking every few days. ;)

13. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Seedling

I never soak seeds, I do start seeds in plastic greenhouse boxes. I love starting seeds.

14. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I soak beet seeds and chard just because I had a hard time getting them to germinate until I tried soaking.

But generally I don't soak seeds especially if I'm starting them indoors.

15. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

I think this depends on the type of seeds that you have as there is quite a split with who does soak seeds and who doesn't.