Does any lady crochet?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Petronius, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Do you have any lady relatives who crochet? Mother and Grandmother crochet.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Why just ladies....many men crochet, knit and do needlepoint.

Lilthisnthat and Gail-Steman like this.
  4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I used to crochet a lot but now I just sew. I make a lot of shopping bags and give them to people where ever we happen to be. I found that kids of all ages love to get a shopping bag and they usually find something to carry in it. I sat and made two of them this morning. I made 25 of them for Halloween with a fall design on the material. dooley

Lilthisnthat and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Correct toni as there's many men capable of doing these issues...it's not like we're living in old times where women was expected to do it more.
    Dooley pic's please :like: if you don't mind :)
    My mom could crochet Petronius and tried teaching we as kids but I was uselss, I can use a sewing machine and chunky knitting machine but beyond that forget it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

Advertisement
  6. toni

Actually I have crocheted since I was about 10, my grandmother and a close family friend taught me different types, gramma used the really thin thread to make doilies and the family friend used regular yarn to make other things. I taught myself to knit in 1966 and now I only knit because my fingers ache too much if I crochet. No one else in the family took up either craft.

Lilthisnthat and Gail-Steman like this.
  7. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

toni I totally forgot about knitting :like: yes I can do that but still used to drop a stitch and had to re-pick up.

You've been doing it for a good many years since a kid...my youngest sister picked up sewing off my mom as she always had an industrial sewing machine in the home and come Christmas used to make fur toys and sell them, it all helped towards Christmas time and making clothes for others and my youngest sister does this so well herself.

You've either got it or you haven't, that's how I look at it :)

8. toni

First thing I sewed was a skirt and blouse for my doll.....I was 6. Before I stopped sewing in 2003, I made prom dresses and a wedding dress for my oldest, many of my clothes and I have lost track of how many quilt tops that I then hand quilted or machine quilted.

I also sewed my finger twice. Once in home-ec class but the sewing machine needle went through the tip of my finger and I pulled it out. Second time I was at home and then the sewing machine needle went through my finger bone and all. My parents took me to the hospital to have the needle pulled out and the hole stitched closed.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Cayuga Morning and Gail-Steman like this.
  9. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

My grandmother likes to use multi-colored crochet thread when she crochets a bedspread. The colors in the pattern turn out lovely. :like::like:

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

toni you sound just like my mom for her sewing abilities just wished I carried them as well but you was very lucky on these two occasions :eek:

11. xantedeschia

xantedeschia New Seed

I hope I'm not too late to the thread party? I Crochet (learned in 2009). I also Knit (learned in 2006). I learned both after my 25th year. I'm also teaching myself more Sewing than my High school Shop rotation class did as well as Weaving on a Rigid Heddle Loom. I'm hoping to be more project productive than I have been in 2018. :stew1:

I'm currently teaching my mother how to Knit and Crochet. Mainly Crochet. My mother's sister and my grandmother are/were interested in crochet but I've taken it the furthest in skill level.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  12. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

@xantedeschia, You are not too late. My mother likes to use multi-colored crochet thread.

xantedeschia and Gail-Steman like this.
  13. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Good for you mate and achieving your goals and weaving on a loom alone must be great because it takes some skill. :like:

xantedeschia likes this.
  14. xantedeschia

xantedeschia New Seed

That sounds like awesome thread. Do you know what brand it is? I'd like to try it.

What sorts of things does your mother make?

I like making amigurumi, clothes, toys, novelty items, shawls, hats, doilies, etc. I think the last thing I crocheted was a Hobbes doll for a friend.

Something just came to my mind. I randomly came across an Instagram where this woman crocheted amigurumi using crochet thread. The finished projects are infinitesimally tiny but so cute.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  15. xantedeschia

xantedeschia New Seed

Thanks! :nerdy:

I have a Cricket loom, which is a small loom that can fit on my lap or a table. I think I'd faint initially if I was faced with a large floor loom. Though, I do find it very cool that some looms use a type of programming to repeat patterns. I'd be very interested in seeing one of those in operation.

Petronius and Gail-Steman like this.
  16. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

To me it must be lovely to work one in general big or small...your doing something they did years back good on you mate :like:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    xantedeschia likes this.