Does anyone grow coleus?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by sewNsow, Jan 21, 2012.

1. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

I love coleus & have a collection. I love them in mixed containers in summer. I take cuttings in fall & keep them over in the greenhouse.The newer sun coleus are harder to keep over because they like so much sun & warmth.They are not like the ones Mom & Grandma had growing in a glass of water on the window sill.
    Here is one that looks pretty in winter,too.
    Doris

[​IMG]
    coleus Pistaschio Nightmare ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

2ofus, DirtisCool!, Sjoerd and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. okietriker

okietriker Seedling

I plan on planting a bunch of them this year. We found a used greenhouse for $25 and scarfed it up. Think I'll try starting them from seeds. I've seen different varieties on eBay that I haven't seen any where else and want to try them all!

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I ordered some seeds from Remy's and cant wait to get them started! I want to put some in pots by my front door!! I might even use them to fill in the front flower bed :-D By the way, I love your user name :p

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I haven't had one in a couple of years. My brother, however planted LOTS in his new front flower beds. They sure are eye-catchers... just like yours!

Advertisement
  6. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi Doris, yes I do and I have a collection in the garden, we are warm here all year so I find they are the easiest thing to grow and can be the prettiest some times of the year.I nip the flower buds off to increase the foliage growth, do you do that?I dont know the names for them, I just enjoy the colours.

[​IMG]
    One of my favorites ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    dark lacey leaf. ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have a coleus growing in my office waiting room. It does not get direct sun, depends on the flourescents for light yet still looks ok. It used to be in a glass on my window sill until I potted it up. I have not had much luck potting up the newer varieties. In fact I have had no luck at all. They rot. I even have tried using rooting powder and a peat moss mix and put the whole affair under a clear baggie, to no avail. I don't know what your secret is, but you are clearly doing it right! Congrats. So pretty.

8. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

There are the ones grown from seeds & ones that are vegetative propagated. You can grow a coleus from seeds & then take a cutting but it will still be different than a named variety.They are fun to grow from seeds & I have done it. They grow very slow at first & then as the season progresses, they take off.It's fun to see a mixture color up.The seed types will grow in more shade. They need constant pinching to keep off the seeds. If allowed to go to seed,they don't do as well.
    As for taking cuttings,some are a lot more finicky.I usually just do them in water. If I wait too long in the fall,some will fail.Spring is a good time. Under a light is good or in an east window,too.60-75 degrees is good.
    Doris

[​IMG]
    Swinging Linda coleus ( photo / image / picture from sewNsow's Garden )

purpleinopp likes this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Doris & Chocolate: Beautiful coleus!

10. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning Doris, another lovely specimen and good advice.

11. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

I have some 'feather' ones also, these two are my latest additions.I am hoping to deepen the colours of the mauve one by hanging it in the shade.It is a bit too fragile to put in the sun yet so I will keep it in the shadehouse.

[​IMG]
    purple feathers. ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    lime feathers ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

purpleinopp likes this.
  12. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I love coleus. I have a few in the greenhouse that I took from the garden and planted in pots the greenhouse. Next year I will get more serious about my coleus and keeping it over the Winter.

Enjoy all your pictures.

Barb in Pa.

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Love your Coleus.Its a beautiful color .Coleus is one of my favorite
    plants.They are so colorful.Yours is a beauty.Thanks for posting it.

14. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

trying Coleus for the first time

I have gotten several Coleus packets of seeds thanks to my hubby, he went to the Dollar Store when the seeds were cheaper and bought me a whole bag full of all different kinds of flowers. Some I have never heard of before like the Coleus, I have planted two packages in two pots and in 3 days one pot has started to sprout already! How long after they sprout do you start to see color? So far all I see is little green sprouts. Here is the picture and maybe someone can help me out. The green you see is the sprouts.

[​IMG]
    Coleus sprouts ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

15. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

trying Coleus for the first time

I have gotten several Coleus packets of seeds thanks to my hubby, he went to the Dollar Store when the seeds were cheaper and bought me a whole bag full of all different kinds of flowers. Some I have never heard of before like the Coleus, I have planted two packages in two pots and in 3 days one pot has started to sprout already! How long after they sprout do you start to see color? So far all I see is little green sprouts. Here is the picture and maybe someone can help me out. The green you see is the sprouts.

[​IMG]
    Coleus sprouts ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

purpleinopp likes this.
  16. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love all Coleus. I get clippings from anyone who will donate it to me. I get them rooted very easily in potting soil in the greenhouse.

I keep them in the greenhouse all Winter and then put them out for the next Summer. That's when they really blossom. Actually, I don't let them bloom. I nip them in the bud.... :p