Dog owners be aware........

Discussion in 'Pets' started by eileen, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. eileen

    eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2005
    Messages:
    27,646
    Likes Received:
    4,017
    Location:
    Scotland
    ......... that:-

    Aluminum Foil

    When ingested can cut a dog's intestines, causing internal bleeding, and in some cases, even death.

    Anti-Freeze

    If ingested, anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) is often lethal -- even in very small quantities. Because many dogs and cats like its sweet taste, there are an enormous number of animal fatalities each year from animals drinking anti-freeze. Poisoning from anti-freeze is considered a serious medical emergency which must be treated by a qualified veterinarian IMMEDIATELY.

    Bloat

    Bloat (gastric torsion & stomach distension) is a serious life-threatening emergency which must be treated by a qualified veterinarian IMMEDIATELY. Bloat is relatively common among large and deep-chested breeds, such as Basset Hounds, Dobermans, German Shepherds and Great Danes. Many experts believe that a feeding a large meal within 2 hours of exercise or severe stress may trigger this emergency. Eating quickly, changes in diet, and gas-producing foods may also contribute to this serious condition. Symptoms of Bloat include: unsuccessful retching, pacing, panting, drooling, an enlarged stomach/torso, and/or signs of distress.

    Chocolate

    Chocolate contains an element which is toxic to dogs, called Theobromine. Even an ounce or two of chocolate can be lethal to a small dog (10 lbs. or less). Larger quantities of chocolate can poison or even kill a medium or large dog. Dark and unsweetened baking chocolates are especially dangerous. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include: vomiting, diarrhoea, tremors, hyperactivity and seizures. During many holidays such as Christmas, New Year's Day, Easter and Halloween, chocolate is often accessible to curious dogs, and in some cases, people unwittingly poison their dogs by offering them chocolate as a treat.

    Electrocution

    Christmas tree lights and electrical cords can be fatal if chewed on by a dog (or cat). Whenever possible, keep electrical cords out of reach.

    Fireworks

    Never unnecessarily expose your pet to firecracker noise or fireworks displays, as they can cause companion animals tremendous fear, and in> many cases, long-term phobias. Make sure to keep dogs indoors, and keep walks (on a leash) very brief. Try masking loud firecracker noises with "white noise" (from the air conditioner or white noise machine), as well as with music or other familiar sounds (radio or television). Or if possible, take a brief vacation with your pet in a quiet rural area, until The Fourth of July fireworks are over.

    Heatstroke and Heat Exhaustion

    A dog's normal internal body temperature is between 100.5 degrees F and 102 degrees F. Leaving a dog in a parked car in the summer (even with the window a few inches open), can cause heatstroke within minutes. Heat exhaustion is usually caused by over-exercising a dog during hot weather. Both heatstroke and heat exhaustion can result in brain damage, heart failure or even death in a short period of time. To cool off an overheated dog, wet the dog's body and paws with cool water, then fan. If the dog experiences heatstroke or heat exhaustion, he should receive veterinary attention as soon as possible.

    Hypothermia

    When a dog's internal temperature drops below 96 degrees F (by being exposed to cold weather for long periods, or getting both wet and cold), there is a serious risk to the dog's safety. Small and short-haired dogs should wear sweaters when taken for walks during cold winter weather. Any sign that a dog is very cold -- such as shivering -- should signal the owner to bring the dog indoors immediately.

    Ice-Melting Chemicals and Salt

    Ice-melting chemicals and salt placed across paths and roads can cause severe burning to your dog's foot pads. Whenever possible, avoid walking your dog through these substances, and wash off his footpads when you return home. There are also products available such as Musher's Secret which can be applied to your dog's footpads prior to going outside, that may help reduce the pain that is often caused by road salt and chemicals.

    Poisonous Plants

    Dogs (and cats) can become extremely ill or even die from eating poisonous plants. Keep all unknown types of plants and any plants suspected of being poisonous out of reach of your pet, and/or spray with Bitter Apple (for plants).

    Plastic Food Wrap

    Plastic food wrap can cause choking or intestinal obstruction. Some dogs will eat the plastic wrapping when there are food remnants left coating its surface.

    Tinsel and Other Christmas Tree Ornaments

    When ingested by a dog (or cat), tinsel may cause obstruction of the intestines, and the tinsel's sharp edges can even cut the intestines. Symptoms may include: decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, listlessless and weight loss. Treatment usually requires surgery.


    Also never give your dogs Rasins, Grapes or onions. These can kill your dog or, at the very least, give it dreadful diarrhoea and stomach cramps.

    Source: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/safety.html

    Here's hoping you, and your pets, all have a safe and wonderful time over the festive season :smt114
     
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads
    1. Sherry8
      Replies:
      9
      Views:
      1,958
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      5
      Views:
      317

  3. jubabe296

    jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2006
    Messages:
    1,172
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    south central Texas
    These are alot of things are pet owners should know about!!! Thanks for the information Eileen!!
     
  4. Alyssa

    Alyssa New Seed

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2006
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    FL
    ***Also never give your dogs Rasins, Grapes or onions. These can kill your dog or, at the very least, give it dreadful diarrhoea and stomach cramps.***

    I just found out about this and honestly I had no clue that these two things that seem harmless could be so "harmful" to our pets! Scary!
     
  5. Nell Liquorman

    Nell Liquorman New Seed

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Crystal Beach, FL USA
    There are many more things that are toxic to pets. Anything that is rubbed on, dusted on, sprayed on, or dropped onto your pet becomes part of your pet's diet. All animals lick themselves. The odd thing added to your pet's diet may cause gastric distress and you probably would not realize it. Many people use odd ingredients that they consider natural for flea control. The only difference in what it takes to kill fleas and what it takes to kill your pet is simply the size of the dose. Many toxic agents are parading as flea products.
     

Share This Page