Dogs and onions!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Capt Kirk, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. Capt Kirk

    Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2005
    Messages:
    4,130
    Likes Received:
    724
    Location:
    Ohio, USA
    A firend sent this to me, so dog owners take note!

    onions are bad for dogs. I knew this, thankfully, so when Loki the Wonder Dog decided to eat as many of the fresh out of the oven roasted onions I had cooling on the stove that he could reach(about a pound), I immediately called the vet & left a message. I wasn't sure how much of an emergency this was untill the vet called back within 10 minutes. onions cause a depletion, or something like that, in a dog's red blood cell count & can take days to do harm. by the time anything wrong is noticed, it can be very serious, even fatal.

    it's important to get the onions out of the dog within an hour or so, before they start digesting. so, 2 tablespoons of peroxide, per the vet's directions, down poor Loki's throat & within 5 minutes, up come the onions...as far away from the house as possible!

    even if you don't have a dog, please pass on this life saving info to those who do...
     
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      5
      Views:
      317
    2. carolyn
      Replies:
      15
      Views:
      1,931

  3. cajunbelle

    cajunbelle Daylily Diva

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2006
    Messages:
    3,266
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    zone 8b Louisiana
    I knew they weren't good for dogs, but I didn't know they were fatal.
     
  4. Frank

    Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Messages:
    17,381
    Likes Received:
    1,441
    Location:
    Originally Galway, Ireland
    Thanks for the tip Capt, I never knew that. I've heard countless times about chocolate being bad for a dog but never onions. I will pass on the info.
     
  5. cajunbelle

    cajunbelle Daylily Diva

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2006
    Messages:
    3,266
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    zone 8b Louisiana
    They are also bad for cats. It seems that in both cases the toxic ingredient, thiosulphate, causes the red blood cells to burst. This results in breathlessness for the animal, bc red blood cells carry oxygen. So Loki was very fortunate that his owner knew about this.
     



    Advertisement
  6. pondlady

    pondlady Young Pine

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,764
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    New Orleans, La
    My long deceased beloved tri-color mutt from the SPCA used to eat onions from my garden and loved them. He lived for 12 years. But, I certainly didn't let him do it, nor would I allow my current beloved greyhound eat an onion. I will make sure my friends are aware of the onion problem. I'm not fond of them either.
     
  7. muddybob

    muddybob In Flower

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2006
    Messages:
    444
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    WA st.
    Grapes and raisins must also not be fed to dogs. I've let my dogs have them in the past before I knew any better and was lucky.
    Also do not induce vomiting with syrup of ipecac. If the dog does not vomit then you have one more toxic ingredient in the gut. Captain Kirk did it the recommended way with hydrogen peroxide. Dog owners are advised to always have some on hand.

    muddy
     

Share This Page