Dying fish?

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by glasfryn, Feb 3, 2008.

1. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

some of might know some of the problems we have had with the pond , well things have had a turn for the worse over the last few days I have had to fish out 14 dead fish and none of them have a mark on them and they are all about the same size last years eggs so far no large ones .
    Any idea what it might be my wife has come up with this theory to many fish and the weaker ones are not surviving could it be the lack of oxygen which was the answer to my previous problem with a skiing fish (and he or she is still doing that)things are not at that serious time yet as we have so many fish but its not nice seeing them floating on the top.

G

2. Loading...

3. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

There are so many things that could be causing your fish to die that it's hard to come up with a solution for you. We have university extensions here in the US, and are able to take soil and/or water samples to them for the students to study. I don't know what you have in the UK that could do the same for you, but it would be a start to have your water tested.

I found this site (and there are many out there) that talks about the steps to creating a healthy pond. You may need to start over again with fresh water and fish (as they might be the problem too): http://futurepet.com/trivia/ponds-starting.htm

Good luck. I've been lucky and have had to do very little in my pond. My fish are overwintering under the ice for the 4th winter in a row now. I think that by keeping the waterfall pump going throughout the winter it helps to keep my pond well-aerated, and that's one of the reasons my fish survive.

4. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

Thanks Kaseylib,
    that is a help and it looks like I am going to have to put more plants in the pond and check the PH its a very useful site and I will bookmark it

thanks again.

G

5. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

Update=
    tested the water and it came up near perfect have added some salt and more plants and we have come to the conclusion that it must be a virus.
    One interesting point all the dead fish are white no red/orange ones and the death toll up to now is 30+.

G.

Advertisement
  6. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

We are still losing fish normally one a day and they are still from the same batch and there is never a mark on them, I have gone back to using barley straw to clear the water and using no chemicals at all.
    there are still some 300+ fish +frogs,newts and insects.
    it baffles me?

G

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

The Ice was off my pond finally and with the sunshine and warmth (38degF). The fish enjoyed a liitle more room to swim. I'm not sure how many fish I have altogether but I did count atleast 12 at one time. Can't wait for the warmer weather to get here so that I can reattach the fountain to the pump.

8. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

I don't know much about fish ponds, but recently I visited a friend who lost all her Koi. They lived near a Christmas tree farm and apparently it was an insecticide spray that either traveled by air or washed downhill after a rain. It wouldn't take much, so I'm wondering if there's any insecticide/other harmful chemicals being used somewhere near your pond? You might try asking you neighbor's if they've been using any treatments/sprays for their yards....

9. trudy

trudy In Flower

I don't know what is going on with your fish, but was curious if you are feeding them in the cold months. I was told not to cuz their metabolism really slows down an they can't digest the food an can die. A cousin of mine was loosing fish a few years ago an when she stopped feeding them in the winter they stopped dyeing. Just a thought.

10. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

you could be on to something there my neighbour the idiot or half a job harry as we know him did splash some fence paint into the pond ....but that was some time ago and it was supposed to be harmless water based stuff

G

11. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

they have been having very little or no food in the really cold weather and the pond has only frozen over once this winter and that was only for a few hours ......but I take your point and have stopped feeding them all together.

the fish are very active now and we are losing fewer now so maybe the last two posters together have the answer.
    thankyou to all those who have posted and will keep you up to date

G