Dying Lavender - Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by soriold, Aug 30, 2013.

1. soriold

soriold New Seed

Hello,

We planted approximately 20 lavender plants 2 months ago and everything looked great at frst. We are using a drip system and I have changed the drippers to 1 gallon emitters rathen than 2 gallons. Also, our soil is 70 sand and almost 30% clay. Slowly but surely it seems that all of the lavender are dying and I would REALLY appreciate any guidance some of you more experienced gardeners and lavender enthusiasts have.

Thank you very much for you help in advance and please see below for the damage.

Stefan

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from soriold's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I hate it when that happens :( I lost my first batch of lavender because I over watered (I think)
    Mine do best in gravel, in full sun, not much water.

4. soriold

soriold New Seed

Does anybody else have any additonal adivce/opinion? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!! THank you!

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I bought my first lavendar this spring. So I really don't know too much about them. Mine gets partial shade and not a whole lot of water.
    Sorry I can't be of help. Good luck!

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

Well... while watering yesterday, I noticed that the back side of my lavendar is turning brown. I know I haven't over-watered. And it's facing north, the south side is blocked by various other plants. Is this normal for a lavender to start dying back as fall approaches?

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Lavender likes full sun, wherever I see lavender it is enjoying the day in an open field without shade, zone 6a. It it gets too hot in the pm hours it might appreciate some shade. When it has been in the ground a bit and established itself it will not mind dry spells but if it gets too dry flowers will be fewer. Deer and insects will look for food elsewhere as the plant oil is not appreciated by either. Make sure the soil drains well as moist soil does a number on roots.

Jerry

8. cherylad

Hmmm... since it's the shaded side that's dying, I guess I should have put it in a different location. I do have a bed that gets nothing but sun... maybe I'll try again next year.

9. memor maplin

memor maplin New Seed

If it all dies off.
    Next time try putting the plants in different areas of your garden (if possible) and maybe different soil types and different amounts of water. . See which ones flourish.
    Saves money if you don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Hope this helps

MM

10. cherylad

As I was watering this evening, I did notice my Lavendar dying off. Good advice MM. I already picked out a few places to plant them next year. Hopefully I'll get it right. I just love their fragrance!

11. memor maplin

memor maplin New Seed

I love Jasmine and night scented stock. When we eventually move (soon) I'm going to fill the garden with smellies.

12. Meadow Walker

Meadow Walker New Seed

Too much water, and the clay soil allowed the water "to stand" and not drain away. Lavender plants like it high and dry.

I noticed the driveway as well. Is that concrete or packed gravel? It could be that something leached into the soil from the driveway. Chemicals or maybe the stone/concrete changed the pH of the soil.

My advice would be to move the plants to another location away from the driveway. Before planting lavender plants again, have your soil tested.

My own lavender plants thrive on neglect.The Anouk lavender seems to be less fussy about soil. I planted them in a raised bed 4 years ago, worked in some compost and a few cups of dolomitic lime. Lavender likes a sweet soil, and they would benefit from a layer of crushed lime on top of the soil.

You could also "hard prune" the lavender plants and cut away the damaged parts. Also, you could try planting a few of the healthier looking plants in containers. Use a lightweight potting mix, and medium size planters.

Bottom line: The lavender is not in a good location, too much water, too close to the driveway. Start over again.

Frank likes this.