Easy plants for the driveway.

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Mrs. Hankshaw, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

I'm trying to redo the two flower beds on either side of our driveway the previous owner set up. It's a hard area to keep watered so I plan on easy plants that can handle heat. I'm in coastal georgia, so it gets pretty hot here. I'm a complete amateur at landscaping so I'm learning as I go. So far I plan to put a couple of baby century plants on both sides, those will take awhile to get to a good size so I need more plants to fill it up. Any ideas? I can water if it ever gets too dry but I don't want to set myself up for failure with plants that need regular maintenance. Any input is appreciated.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

Thanks. I hadn't thought of putting cannas there, I have a few by my house already. These are good options, thanks. My mom just told me she'll give me her two medium sized variegated century plants instead of the small ones, so I'm happy about that. I like yuccas also, I hope I can find a few somewhere.

5. designshare

designshare New Seed

Asparagus,gladiolus,pulmononaria,beschorneria... work too.but these plants aren't very nice for the curb appeal.you try to interplant some drought tolerant hostas,rosemary...

Advertisement
  6. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

So far I've found some really pretty "portolucas" that I put around part of the edge on either side and a couple of silver Artemis. I also put the two variegated century plants in, those will be the centerpieces. I've never heard of the portolucas but they were tagged as full sun and drought resistant, they're a beautiful coral peach color. Im on a budget so I think I'll add a little bit every week and hope it turns out. I know drawing a layout is best but as I have no idea what lll get next week I think I'll just keep filling it in as I go, I can always move things around later. I plan on getting more of the portolucas and Artemis and probably fill the rest in with a grassy ground cover.

Anyone know about these portolucas? I really like them so I hope they work out.

I found some hostas that I liked but they were labeled as shade, I was afraid to buy them. I love gladiolus but there were none unfortunately.

7. toni

Portulaca grandiflora (Moss-Rose Purslane, Rose Moss)

Which of the Artemisia did you get? They are all silvery so any of them would make a really nice combination with the colors of the Portulaca.

You can make more of the Artemisia by rooting cuttings in water, it will take about a month or so to get some good roots going. Then put them in pots to let them get used to soil and put some growth on before planting them in the ground.

8. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

I do not agree that drawing up a layout plan for plants is best. My best work comes from just letting things happen as they happen. 'Go with the flow' as one member put it.

9. toni

I can never plan a garden layout, things change...mostly my mind changes from the time I buy a plant to the time I get ready to plant it!
    I can see in my mind what I want and how it should look but I just can never put it on paper.

blissful photons likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The yucca's may do very well there, but if you have not weeded around them, you will find that you need to wear body armor to do so. They seem to have serrated edges, similar to a knife, around here. :( you'll look like you were in a knife fight real fast.

11. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

The artemis is "silver mound artemisia". I'm glad I'm not the only one who just wings it. I've decided against the yucca, I think smaller plants are better for that area.

12. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

Finished. I ended up putting some salvia and lantana in also. I didn't want to go with lantana because its everywhere here and it kind of bores me but I can't deny it's just so low maintenance it was the only good option to fill the rest in. The salvia looks great, it makes it really. Finished with cypress mulch and considering it's my first attempt at any kind of landscaping I'm very proud. I'll add pics when I can.

13. Annette

Annette Seedling

portulaca is nice...it reseeds itself in my zone...nice low growing plant.

14. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

I didn't like it after I put it in and it wilted, woke up the next day to them blooming again though. I'm glad I put them in now, they're a beautiful peachy color. I'm hoping that one spreads a little.