Electroculture (growing with electricity) in action

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by ElectroGrow, Oct 28, 2014.

1. ThomasMc

ThomasMc New Seed

Thanks all for the great post. I'm wondering if any might be able to help. To get an understanding of electroculture in action and to start learning about positive, negative, current, moisture, etc I'd like to reproduce Prof Selim Lemstrom's 1st experiment as stated in his book "Electricity in Agriculture and Horticulture". I'd really appreciate if someone could draw a picture of the setup. Details of the experiment can be found on pages 9 and 10 of the book at http://www.rexresearch.com/agro2/laemstromelcult.pdf
    Instead of a Holtz machine I'm hoping to replace this with a modern day equivalent for which I am researching elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  2. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Before I did the work I would try to understand the EC of the growing medium. Chemistry too has electromotive force. This balance of soil, in part, was what @mart was referring to in the previous comparision comment. This thread was started in 2014 so the op might be out of reach now.

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Electric current for growing plants is interesting, and I was fanatically interested in this kind of stuff. Electric current creates magnetic fields, magnetic fields affect the direction of of electric currents,
    Plants are electrical beings. When a seed germinates, it is often in darkness and the growing tip and root tip have opposite electric charges. Due to the ambient electric fields the root grows down and the shoot grows up. The growing tip will search the sun as well, but not all plants require light to germinate. Plants bifurcate in a fractal manner because of electric charge. When the electric potential is too great at one of the tips, bifurcation occurs.

To get back to electroculture, better than applying electric current (this is called active electroculture), is to use passive electroculture, you do not risk overstimulation of your plants with a passive system. The idea behind passive electroculture, also sometimes called magnetoculture is to create electric and magnetic fields within your garden space. You get certain materials that have dielectric properties. Certain dialectic materials can make what are called electrets, this is analogous to a magnetic field, but with electric fields. Quartz is an example of an electret. There are several ways of creating passive electroculture systems, most of which consist of melting beeswax, which is an electret onto a magnet and letting it solidify. You will then have an object with an electric and magnetic field in one. If you get a ring magnet, you can put a piece of wire in it with the magnet on one end and the wire extending like an antenna. These can be aligned in various ways either buried aligned with the earths magnetic field, or creating an electromagnetic field in your by planting the beeswax covered candles with antenna part in the air. I hope I am not rambling too much. I will try and find some links that better explain this and post them to this thread.

4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Just apply this.

Advertisement
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

S-H likes this.
  6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc New Seed

ah thanks all for the replies. Its great to discover others who are also interested in this. with so many variations possible I'm going to pursue my original experiment. would really appreciate any drawings or sketches of what the wire mesh might look like and also how it might be connected up.

But the subject is fascinating and for me it is a gateway to connecting with this planet we call earth.

t

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    S-H likes this.
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc New Seed

I'm going to continue researching this particular experiment as my way into electorculture. That is not to diss all the other replies/posts and information out there but this particular one seems accessible to a 'beginner' while Prof Lemstrom's 'little' book also summarizes how all the key fields link together.
    Think I can figure out the mesh setup from here. That leaves a power source. I've not been able to establish why the professor choose a 'holtz' machine to generate the current when AC and DC where also available to him and which in fact the did use. Ideally I'd like to setup the experiment using modern day technology maybe linking it to a barometer and maybe also a timer. Now where are all the electricians when you need them!
    The next thing after that is to visualize the middle pot experiment where the current was going upwards ?

Odif and S-H like this.
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

This may be a little off topic, but there is a debate always going on in the scientific community about the 2000+ years old "baghdad battery"...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

Nobody is quite sure about what could be the purpose of such a battery. As the energy obtained from it is so small and near useless - That it is debated that perhaps this wasn't used as a battery, but just an accidental arrangement of objects which we today can recognize as a battery.

However, nobody seems to have been seeing it from the point of view of electro-culture in soil... So maybe, if applied as an aid to sprout seeds in the off season perhaps, or to encourage hybrid seeds, (which can be temperamental to sprout naturally) - There might actually be something to it.

Just wondering...

Because there is no doubt, that people of old Baghdad were very advanced when it came to agriculture.

Odif likes this.