establishing new grass on a new pond dyke

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by mikejr1, May 6, 2007.

1. mikejr1

mikejr1 New Seed

I just completed construction of about a 5.5 ac. pond. 3 sides of the pond consist of a dyke that is about 12 to 15ft. wide at the top and about 15ft. high. I need to quickly establish grass to prevent water run-off damage (if we ever get rain again) any suggestions? I can't irrigate this area and I'm located near Charleston, SC so it is fairly hot hear now. Thanks

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Mike, welcome to the Stew. Hope you decide to hang around for a while.

I have seen slopes like that where they cover the area with mesh to hold the soil in place then plant ground cover plants by cutting slits in the mesh for the plants. The ground covers will quickly spread, forming a dense mat on top of the mesh and further prevent soil erosion.
    Whatever you choose for the flat surface on the top, I would think a native prairie grass would be the easiest to maintain since they are adapted to the weather conditions in your area and do not require irrigation. You might be able to find plugs of the grasses that will establish quicker than seeds would.

Good luck....and if you get the chance, we would love to see pictures of the pond

4. mikejr1

mikejr1 New Seed

Thanks for the reply, I am going to the local feed and seed store today, was told over the weekend to use coastal hay (bermuda I think) Ive got about 20 acres of it now in close proximity of the pond and it is not irrigated and grows well. I will post some pics soon. Thanks.