Experimenting in the garden & greenhouse.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by MIKE ALLEN, Nov 14, 2021.

1. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

I have to admit. Despite having numourus credentials. I do not stick the the, er' her rule of thumb gardening. I like I am sure many other gardeners like to experiment. For instance. I have a collection of Begonia sempervirens. These are generally catalogued as being annuals. My present collection are seven years old. Growing in an unheated greenhouse. I tend to override the data on when to take cuttings etc. I really hate waste. So tidying up plants, I basically stick off-cuts into pots. They either grow or peg out. I do not pick and choose my seasons. Under glass, I will split mature plants. Tapping them out of their pots. I will slice basal growth. This can provide me with at least two possible new plants, perhaps more. Instant potting and wait for the best. For the larger plants. I will cut them back. Removing flowers and seed pods, these cuttings are trimmed and potted. Moderate watering is provided. Come planting out time for summer, I have a plentiful supply.

Now I am preparing for next year. My Impatiens have given a fine display. So why not? Why not try and take these over for future years? I will keep you posted.

Daniel W, Logan, Droopy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Would like to see your results ! Not correct english but I am tired tonight !

Logan and MIKE ALLEN like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Very good Mike, I do that with the fuchsias and trailing geraniums from my hanging baskets. Can get cuttings from cuttings.

Daniel W likes this.
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I've dug up pelargoniums d overwintered them over the years. Last year I also overwintered a French marigold. It bloomed until about March, then it died. Pretty while it lasted.

MIKE ALLEN and Logan like this.