Extender for Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Palustris, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Our new Smart TV will not connect to the router. Cannot move the router (basically hard wired into the office. Cannot use Powerline things as the two rooms are on different circuits. So the question is has anyone used one of these things? If so any info would be most useful.
    TIA

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sorry not very good at these things, would an extra router or a amplifier for the router help.

3. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am using what perhaps you are calling a wifi extender. I do not use it for a smart telly, but to be sure that I can get internet everywhere. I use another solution for the telly’s.

I do not understand precisely what question you are asking. I plugged the main extender in an outlet near my wifi thing (I just can’t think what it is called in english at the moment...maybe router, but I think ...wait modem is the word). Then one upstairs to give me wifi throughout the entire house and balcony. Then I had to tik in the codes for the thing to work. And it was; hey presto!, it worked.

If you would buy one of these “plug-in-the-wall” systems I believe that it will be the simplest and least expensive way yo go. There are larger and more robust pieces of kit that you can acquire and they may work even better. I went with my system because it was supplied gratis by my internet provider. I thought that I would try that because it was free, and if it did mot work; well then, I could always go with the big turbo solution. My provider even offered to come and install it for me, but I declined and just did it myself. I did not find it “technical”.

Advertisement
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

What is the model of the tv? You should be able to or should enter the network password and the rest becomes automatic.

If your signal is weak maybe what you want is a mesh (multiple) router system. One plugs into the modem and becomes THAT router, to which all the other slave routers connect as you see fit to plug them in somewhere. I have the google mesh, with 4 routers, only one being connected to the modem. I do have one plugged into my office computer. basically 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. That way the net goes outside pretty far and the outdoor smart plugs can be controlled from indoors or by phone apps like google voice or alexa.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Thanks folks. The problem seems to be that between the router and the TV there are three internal walls and an external stone wall plus the copper how water cistern and various other metal pipe work. Our knowledgeable friend reckoned that an extender would have as much difficulty. Have bought the Powerline adapter kit. The only worry is that the Office and the Living Room are on different ring circuits. However, all the articles I have read say that most of the time they work as long as there is only one main fuse board. The best article did say that if the adapter does not work then you can send it back as not being fit for purpose. We shall see.

Tetters likes this.
  7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hi Palustris, don't know if I understand correctly, but here goes: We had problems getting the wi-fi signal through to the students' rooms. One's in the basement (pipes, cables, brick walls and distance) and the other one's at the other end of the house (just distance and a few internal walls) from our router. We bought a Jensen Omni-Mesh signal amplifier set, and it works a treat. I put the entire name there so it will be easy for you to look it up online and maybe find out if this is what you need. I am in no way connected to the company, the product or anybody working there.

Logan likes this.
  8. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

If the Powerline thing does not work then we probably would need something like that.
    Had a look and it does not seem to be on sale in Britain.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Droopy likes this.
  9. Droopy

There should be a few other mesh system options available in the UK, but I hope your Powerline thing will work.

Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  10. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Powerline did not work. The ring circuit in the Office is a different one to the Living room and whilst that is not normally a problem it was here. All the stuff we read said that they do not like Power surge protection and our Fuse box has that on it. Sent them back and ordered a Signal booster. There is a very weak signal by where the TV is so we hope that boosting the signal will work.

Droopy, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Oh well you tried, let's hope that this works, let us all know.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Droopy

Fingers crossed it will work!

13. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

if not I will go back to doing what I know, killing plants!

Droopy likes this.
  14. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

:smt056 Aw, never mind Palustris, the less time you spend on the computer, the more you can spend in your lovely garden - and you know full well that killing plants is not one of your occupations at all...... I don't suppose I should really tell you about the government funded super fast internet we had installed this afternoon from our local provider - should I :oops:

15. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Well, so far the Extender has had no effect on the strength of the signal. I give up.

Dirtmechanic likes this.