Extender for Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Palustris, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

2. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

We followed the set up info to the letter and it made no difference to the strength of the signal in the Living room. Tested it on a Fire tablet and the signal was still 1 bar and intermittent at that. We tried the extender in every socket between the router and the TV and zilch.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Yeah they are not amplifiers, just antenna. And this idea of strength of signal is also not the flow rate of data upon that frequency either. Voltage vs amperage is the same idea. I think I have more than 20 devices on my net now. Its not that they can see the frequency, its that the mesh router devices can support the flow in and out or up and down on that frequency. Its all basically a radio really, just like a cb or a ham radio, just on a small scaleso you do not mess up your neighbors. The ability of the modem and the megabaud of your service are probably lower numbers than what a mesh net can support these days. No doubt that will change over time. One day Alexa will be presented in a 3d hologram no doubt. Those days will carry a heavy data flow.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I have a Sony android TV in the front room I bought a year ago that would not connect to the router in the lounge. Although the instructions said it should as the router was within the distance that it said was close enough.
    So I bought a pair of plug in to the mains, connectors. I had to get a bit of help from my cable supplier to get the router to accept it.
    It's like a "snake pit" behind this TV as under it I've a Virgin Tivo box, two Humax tuner/recorders, a DVD/CD player and an old VHS player. I have to have plug in to the mains, converters so the scart only connections to the latter two can connect to the TV's USB ports. Fortunately it has about half a dozen.

I'm amazed it all works. I've a mini mains adapter behind the TV with eight sockets, two on each side and there's a plug in each!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021

Advertisement
  5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Son and grandson coming on Saturday. They are both Electronic experts so hopefully they will know what is going on.

6. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

After some faffing about I have managed to connect the TV to the Internet with the Extender. Hurrah for me.
    Now I need to find out how to actually use the Internet on the TV. Like, how do I get BBC Iplayer on it? (Sony Bravia TV) The set does have an Internet Browser on it.
    Also do I turn the gadget off at night as I do with all other electrical devices apart from the night light in the Hall.

Droopy likes this.
  7. Doghouse Riley

Does this help?

8. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

I have managed to get the BBC Iplayer on it, but if I go back to watching ordinary TV I lose the Internet and have to enter all the passwords again.
    This time it came back on still connected and no need to enter passwords. Very odd.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  9. Doghouse Riley

Mine's a Sony android. You can "talk to it," but I don't bother much.

If you can get i>Player, try the BBC drama "Showtrial," all 5 episodes are on it.
    It's that good I watched it twice!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  10. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Tried, but the TV does not support that part of Iplayer. We can watch the News etc or listen to Radio, but that seems to be about all at the moment.

11. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Final message about this. Everything seems to be as it should be now. The TV stays connected even after turning off the Extender and Router as I do at night. Managed to get all the things I want set up in the sets Browser. So, thanks everyone for the help. Most grateful.

Droopy, Doghouse Riley and Logan like this.