Fall Cleanup

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Growingpains, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

:oops: Is there already a cleanup topic? If so, I apologize.
    I just wanted to tell everyone that half our gardens are cleaned up for winter. Its such a good feeling to have most of it done ahead of snow.
    There is still the oval garden with lots of green tomatoes, beans which have stopped rpoducing, parsley, basil. Then in the back garden, there is lettuce, onions, beans, radishes, all of which may never grow large enough to eat, but it could happen.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. FLgarden
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

wow! Already? I just pruned a few cherry tomatoes and have a huge number of peppers still out in the garden and the beans are just starting to bear the next crop and the beets are looking okay and the potatoes won't be ready for another month I am thinking. But clean up???? I'll need to wait a few weeks maybe even a month if I am fortunate. I still have farmers markets to do for 2 more weeks...You haven't had frost yet have you? You aren't that far north of me, either.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The clean-up has begun here, but there are still some crops and plots of green manure that I want let mature yet.

It is good to hear that your clean-up is more or less complete. It is a good feeling, isn't it.

Well done, you.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Last night was 40*...maybe I will start cleaning up sooner than I was hoping to. :( But I am still resisting....Good thing My DH lets me borrow his equipment to do this. Otherwise I would be using the wheel barrow and it is up hill to the compost pile.....UGH! I really like Summer, I am not so fond of Winter and I think if I put it off longer then it will take longer for winter to get here.... :rolleyes: The bees are calling and I will be doing honey next week so I am thinking it will be October before I actually start cleaning up the garden,though.

Advertisement
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Oh how I desire some of your honey.

7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Carolyn, no frost in my area, but west of here there was frost on windshields.
    I recall doing cleanup with fingers so cold I had to run inside to warm them and I don't wish to do that again. I planted the garlic early too.
    There are still peppers growing and late things in the back garden, but the bulk of it is done. Took out the final tomato plants this morning, just before a thunderstorm came.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, cold fingeritis...I hate that. I truly understand not wanting to clean up when it is that cold.

9. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I'm going to start our fall cleanup this weekend. I'm bad about not getting it done before the snow hits every year. Maybe I'll actually get it done this year.

10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

All thats left for me to do is peppers. They're still blossoming, so I wait until frost threatens.
    There are a few things in the back garden, but its small and likely will only produce lettuce.

11. Betsy Muse

Betsy Muse New Seed

I had to start cleanup early here

I should still have plenty of tomatoes, but we had a lot of late day rain this year and molds, mildews and fungi took over. I've always had cukes coming out of my ears, but not this year. The tomatoes produced early, but I will be short this year.

I posted before I was finished. I meant to add that I'm cleaning up sections that are spent and prepping for fall / winter plantings.

12. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

My clean up is coming next week sometime. I will have an gardens all over by the end of the week. The only thing I will have will be many beautiful bell pepper plants which I plan on covering on frost warnings to keep them growing as long as I can. We planted 100 plants by accident and the yield was overwhelming. I have put over 200 diced in the freezer and have a few stuffed cooked and frozen ready for eaten. We have eaten so many in salads, sauces, and fresh stuffed that we don't want anymore.

I have never been in the position to give much away from the garden and all of you know I just love to give things away. I have been able to give 40 diced and individually zip lock bagged and frozen to a very good young mother friend, and plan on dicing about 40 more for another friend. LOL They get them cleaned out, diced, bagged and frozen. What a service....LOL I love it.

I still have so many peppers still to small to pick yet I am hoping to let them grow late into the fall. I have plenty of more people to give them to. I just can only work on one person at a time if they all want 40 of them.

Barb in Pa.

Growingpains likes this.
  13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Waretrop, I do admire your generosity. We share after we have all we need. I am curious as to how does one plant 100 pepper plants by accident?

As Autumn encroaches, I am basking in delight that there is relatively no cleanup to be done. Even the garlic is planted and the Crimson clover in growing well.

14. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I were at an auction and we were bidding on a flat of plants that we heard had 20 in it but it turned out we misheard the guy and it was really was 100. Everyone we knew already got their plants for their garden. We couldn't through them out so we planted them. (on accident) :oops:

Barb in Pa.

15. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sounds good to me.
    I have grown new vegetables by mistakenly buying mixed plants.