Faux painting question

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Rebecca, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca New Seed

I have one large wall in a model home that I want to paint an accent color, or do a faux finish on. I'm having problems though, as the color I selected for the entire room (which is already painted), is a strange one - not really yellow, not really green. The walls and ceiling are Sherwin Williams Ancestral Gold. The only two colors I've found that I like with it are (also Sherwin Williams) Jadite, and Burlap.

My problem though, with doing a faux finish, is that these accent colors are really dark, and I'm afraid if I mix them together with a colorwash technique, they'll just get muddled. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Any chance of a piccie of the room Rebecca so that we can see the colour that's on the walls for ourselves? Also could you do a test patch with the paint you've thought of using on the accent wall - maybe on a piece of white cardboard or paper?

4. bethie

bethie Young Pine

You might take some of your gold or the other colors and lighten some of it up with white and use that also to brighten up the colors a bit.

5. Rebecca

Rebecca New Seed

here are pics

Ok, I took some pics yesterday. I haven't yet gone to the paint store to get some samples so I can test it out, but I have the color wheel, and I've circled the two colors I like.

Let me know what you think. The other concern I have (and the main reason why I can't just paint this entire wall the jadite color) is that this is a model house, and my bosses (realtors) are not as adventurous with color as I am - they want to make sure that this sells (without having to repaint it).

Advertisement
  6. Rebecca

Rebecca New Seed

testing

Ok, so I made it to the paint store, and played around with the paint today. Here is what I came up with. I used two different techniques - colorwashing (big brushstrokes), and sponging. I tried each method, first just with the turquoise, and then with the brown over the top. What do you think?

7. eileen

I personally would go with the turquoise Rebecca. :-D

8. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I also like the turquoise, but if you are catering to the average "afraid of color" person you might need to go with the gold since it is more understated.

9. Rebecca

Rebecca New Seed

project is complete!

Well, I finally finished the wall. I ended up using 2 slightly different colors than my tests. The turquoise color is SW6474 Raging Sea, and the top color is SW6125 Craft Paper (both from Sherwin Williams). My bosses all liked the sponge technique better than the brush technique.

It turned out a bit better than I expected (though I still would have rather painted the wall just straight turquoise).

I am using blues and turquoises elsewhere in the room (a mirror by the door, and silk flowers) to pull everything together.

If anyone has suggestions for the next time I get talked into doing this, I'd appreciate it.

10. eileen

I'm really impressed Rebecca. :-D I, like you, would have been happier with the turquoise but the way the wall has been done with the sponge technique certainly makes it stand out without clashing with anything else in the room. You must let us see another piccie when the room is completed.

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I really didn't think it would work so well but it did.Can't wait to see pictures finished