Favorite Container Gardening Books?

Discussion in 'Books' started by travelingbooklover, Apr 18, 2008.

1. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

Hi Everyone,
    I haven't done much container gardening and in order to satisfy my need for a bigger garden, I am going to have to try that. Do you have a favorite book(s) for container gardening?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Jewell
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Tooty2shoes
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I don't have any books for container gardening,,, i just let my imagination run wild with my herbs,, thats all i put in containers.

4. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

What do you use to pot up your herbs in containers? I start mine from seeds and I read that you should not fertilize them until they are in pots or in the garden. Do you wait until then?

5. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Actually traveling, I start mine as seeds also, I use butter tubs, ice cream tubs, sour cream containers,,, what ever is convienent at the time, or i saved from the previous yr. If it has a well or hole in it,, it works. I do not fertilize until i transplant my seedlings to a next bigger size. thats when there is at least 2 sets of leaves, sometimes 3. I fertilize after the first water of the freshly transplanted seedlings,, so not right away.

What I plant in outside, well i have a coal pail lined with birch because of the holes in it. another coal pail that is tall. old containers from fishing, old wood made into boxes lined with plastic.... its all very rustic, but then this is a farm. Anything will work as long as you allow drainage. I even have sea rocks made into a type of planter. Anything works,,,

I'm sure other Stewers got some awesome ideas as well,, what they have planted in!

6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I like P. Allens Smith's Container Gardens. He has lots of pictures and excellent information. I don't follow the "recipes" necessarily, but I do use the tips he gives. It is an inspiring book.