Feature request time!

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by Frank, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi FF, one of the toughest things to try to get a little right about Plants(tew) initially was to make it as much "one size fits all" as possible. For this reason fields such as "Additional Short Notes" and the Opinions area were added so that info not offered by the options could be added. I would say it is unlikely right now that support could be added for different pages for different categories due to the complexity (database etc...) and my own stretched time. In an ideal world though, yes it would be a great addition.

This I like and is much more achievable! Can I ask, has the Genus search been useful i.e. clicking on the Genus name and seeing a list of the plants?

2. Frank

Hi Jerry, you may be happy to hear that this actually exists but not exactly how you describe. When you sign in, on the home page you will see a 'Last 500 posts' link (or click here). This will display the last 500 posts in reverse chronological order. Whenever my browser crashes or I close the browser by mistake I visit this link to catch up on the recent forum activity.

Sorry for the triple post guys!

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

No spelling glitch just spelling errors on my part and not remembering to proof read before hitting the submit button and not having an EDIT button to make corrections.

4. Frank

Oh, you don't see a button saying 'Save Title, Description and Album For This Photo' when viewing one of your photos?

Advertisement
  5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Yes Frank, it has been quite useful in helping me find a couple plants that I was looking for, but could not remember their name.

6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Any chance of a Save Draft option when writing PMs?

7. Frank

Ok FF, this will be added in good time :)

Hi DB, wouldn't this be wonderful. All I can say is it is on the list. For now keep a copy of your text in a Notepad document or Word document as you write :)

8. Frank

FlowerFreak sorry to quote myself but the good time has arrived. You should now be able to view a family's plants by clicking on its name.

Note: searching through the entire database is quite a big task for the Stew web server so please allow a little extra time for the search results to be displayed upon clicking the link :)

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I haven't been here long so maybe I haven't been able to find everything I look for, but is there a WEED ID forum? and maybe any info on how to control specific weed problems IE: quack grass doesn't grow where there is sufficient calcium in the soil? Or maybe this isn't what you are looking for for ideas, maybe I should ask elsewhere on the site. Thanks, carolyn

10. Frank

Hi Carolyn,
    Weed IDs can be placed in the Plant ID forum and I guess weed control could be placed in Gardening Other.

It's fine to ask in this thread also :stew1:
    // frank

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Regarding my problem of not being able to save edits to titles of plants or descriptions? Guess what? It's only a problem on my computer at work! :oops:
    Works perfectly fine here at home.
    Wonder if that's a sign... stop playing online while I'm supposed to be working??? :D

12. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I'd like a place like GardenStew plants for weeds. Pictures of weeds with a name under it. One place to go to search what kind of weed you have. good or bad one?
    dooley

13. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Plant leaf ID methodology. (2 methods)

Argument for: Identification of plants is often accomplished by the flower, yet some plants needing to be identified have only leaves, perhaps the flower has not appeared. Indeed in some plants the flower is almost non existent and Ferns have no flower at all.

Method 1: A leaf id section in the plant database associated with each plant.
    accomplished with a name toggle below the plant - plant picture/leaf picture

Method 2: A superpicture,
    accomplished with a leaf picture inserted into the plant or flower picture.

Jerry

14. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A forum section or subsection for clever ideas.

Quite often members come up with or identify a unique idea that others would like to see or do if only they knew about it. A section that gathered these ideas would be reviewable but a 'clever idea bot' would have to determine the content.

Jerry

15. Frank

Hi Dooley,
    Did you know you can choose Weed under Plant Types in our Plant advanced search and see a list of weeds we have in the database at present?

http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/sea ... &19=0&21=0