Feature request time!

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by Frank, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Jerry, have you seen this page that can be reached when adding a leaf shape for a plant?
    http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/leaf-shapes

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

A plant propagation method section would be very useful to those who like to mess around with the beginning process of plant life.

3. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

It works great Frank. :D

Frank likes this.
  4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'd like a multi-qoute feature. As it is now I can only quote one post, and if I want to quote several posts and reply to them all in one post, I need to do a lot of Ctrl-C's and Ctrl-V's and back-button-clicking.

Advertisement
  5. Frank

Droopy I thought about multi-quote once you suggested it. It's actually harder to implement than expected. One implementation idea I did have was once a quote link is clicked the quoted text of the post is added to 'Quick Reply' box. You could click the quote link of multiple posts and they would get appended to the quoted text. This would run into a problem however when you want to quote posts from multiple pages.

6. Frank

A mystery no more. You may have noticed that I have just added each member's Seed count below their username in forum posts. I also added their Featured Topic count and Super Post count :stew1:

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A new feature that will help people identify and remember flowers, plants, weeds or just about anything botanical.

Process : A Flashcard feature

Here is how it works: The flashcard feature has an index of categories dividing the subject matter into manageable groups. A group is selected and the user is presented with the option of a random or alphabetical presentation of cards. Each card has a picture without the answer and a button that when selected gives the subject identification and perhaps a minimal of information.

The purpose of the exorcise: Is to aid members in the learning process of plant identification. Members have a feature that challenges their plant ID skills. As the feature evolves categories can become harder so as to challenge even the most skilled among us. A mystery category for the as yet to be identified plants so they will not be 'forgotten'

Enticement: A challenge card displayed, as in 'picture/quote' of the day format

Implementation: The HTML implementation may have already been 'discovered.'

Contribution: Done by members via a HTML template that accepts a picture and identification text.

Jerry

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I see. Thanks for thinking about it. I guess the forum format won't allow it. I know other forums have them but they also have another format. I'll live with the copy-paste, it's not the end of the world or anything close to it. :D

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Frank... can this feature me added to a more accessible place on the site?

10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A shade gardening forum for those of us who garden in the 'dark.'

Jerry

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Frank, I was wondering about a "printer friendly" button on posts that have instructions for making a project. I was wondering just because I went to another site because I knew I could print off the instructions for a concrete birdbath and it would be much easier to follow the instructions for the project, if I had them right in front of me. :stew1:

12. Frank

Hi Jerry, have you seen many topics discussing shade gardening? Normally a new forum is added if there has been much discussion about a specific area and it doesn't have an individual forum yet.

Hi Carolyn, I think it's becoming more and more apparent that we need a 'Print this Topic' feature. If I ever get around to developing something do you want photos to appear also, or just text?

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think it may depend on the topic as to if pictures are needed. I try to print withOUT the pictures because it uses so much ink, and ink is expensive. Maybe an option to print with pics or text only.

14. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Recipes for gardening?

Hi Frank, I saw some great ideas for preventing fungus, on the forum threads, but sometimes they get buried. I would love to see a recipe section, to save some of them. Like carolyns recipe for baking soda and water, plus adding some soap to decrease the surface tension. Or the cornmeal. Then people could put the feedback on results below it.

15. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Hey Frank,

I was thinking that it might be a cool idea to have a mobile site for The Stew. Where you can go to gardenstew.com on your phone, but instead of it taking you to the normal home page, it would take you to the mobile site. Here you could check your PMs, recent forum posts, and recent photos. There would also be the option to go to the normal home page. Just a neat idea I thought I would throw your way.

Karrma's post above just made me think of another idea. How about a "add to favorites" button where you can add your favorite topics to a list somewhere and would be able to access them later. Like with recepies or how tos where you can click "add to favorites" where they can be accessed easier at a later time instead of searching all over the place for it again.