Feature request time!

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by Frank, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Jon & Karrma,
    I agree about topics getting buried. I actually started to develop a 'Save Topic' feature as I think it would be very useful. So it's in the works :)

On the subject of a mobile version of the site, this would require a lot of time and effort. The thing is I'm not sure that would be worth the investment. Mobile devices are working more and more like regular computer screens nowadays. I know if I have attempted to browse GardenStew on an iPhone and it worked well. Even better on the iPad. So this one may not happen I'm afraid.

2. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Chat box?

Have you ever considered having a chat box? Take a look at frugalvillage.com/forums/ to see what I'm talking about. It's kind of nice to chat real time with others online at times.

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Re: Chat box?

Hi PianoLady,

We did experiment with having a chat area before (it was built into the GardenStew toolbar) but it never really took off. There may be information lost in a chat that may have made it onto the forums otherwise. Also it wouldn't be possible to reasonably moderate what would be posted there.

Thanks for the suggestion :stew1:

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

It would be nice to have the facility to post a link,..in "Members Gardens",..perhaps just the one link,..allowing a slide show or video of the members garden.

Advertisement
  5. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I like that idea!

6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I have a really hard time searching the plant database. Plants seem random and not alphabetized. I get tens of pages to sift through that aren't even the type of plant I entered. What am I doing wrong?

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I check the Stew throughout the day on my iPhone, along with facebook, my email, and a couple other forums as well. I even added the Stew to the home page on my phone, so all I have to do is tap the icon rather than typing in the web address. I have options to use the mobile versions of a number of sites I peruse frequently, but I actually prefer the regular sites. So if you added a mobile version of GardenStew, I doubt I'd use it.

Frank likes this.
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jewell, Sometimes less information will get better results.

Let's say the search is for the Genus species...i.e. Salvia greggii. The list will have all the Salvia greggii at the first of the list, after that you will find other Salvia. But since species names are not exclusive to one Genus the list could also include any Genus with the same species name.
    http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/sea ... ia+greggii

If you want an alphabetical list that doesn't include other Genus with the same species name, then click on the name of one of the plants in that list. Look on the right of the plant page where it says Scientific Classification...The Genus Salvia will be highlighted in Blue... http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/32689

click on the word Salvia and you will get a list alphabetized by species name. All of the 'cultivars' will be listed in proper order with their species. http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/gen ... s_id=32680

If after all of this you get no results for the plant you entered, that means the name was not spelled correctly or the plant is not in our database.

Frank likes this.