Fee for Interior Designer 20k job

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Rudbeckia, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Rudbeckia

Rudbeckia New Seed

Hello everyone,

Any interior designers on here? I asked this question on another forum, but thought I would ask here.

What percentage of a 20k job should an Interior design fee be?

I know rates very, but what is normal, project is in Alabama

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Rudbeckia

Rudbeckia New Seed

This is a Europe website.....is garden stew a europe based forum...oopps I need US rates

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

GS is not European based, we have members worldwide.
    Having a location in your profile helps us when we answer questions, gardening or otherwise. ;)

Even in the U.S. fees will vary greatly from state to state and even city to city within a state.

I would suggest that you contact designers in your area and get some ideas from them. May a design school or local college that has design courses could give you leads to the answer.

Advertisement
  6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have seen rates from $10-125 per hour and from $15-75 per square foot. It all depends on who you go to. a firm is going to charge more. Individuals will sometimes charge less. Just make sure to get a list of references and pictures of their work. It also depends on if they will be doing the work or if they will only design it and then you do the work.

7. ecogirl

ecogirl New Seed

As an interior designer, I have to say it depends. Here are some parameters. If you have come up with a budget to design a room, then generally speaking, a designer's portion of that is between 10-12%.

If you don't have a budget and want to get ideas on what to do for that room, you can set a limit of how much money you want to spend and then see what a designer can do within that limit. They may or may not be able to make it 'picture perfect' but at least get you on the road.

Usually, experienced designers are good at estimating how long it will take them to do a job. They then can provide a flat fee for the job. If you agree to a flat fee, however, you will be limited as to how many times you can change your mind, the color, the fabric, etc. In other words, for a flat fee, you must be pretty close to your desired outcome.

Let me know if this has been helpful or what other questions has come up from reading this post.

8. HeatherM

HeatherM New Seed

Each interior designer charges differently, and commercial design fees are handled differently than residential design fees. Fee structures also vary by geographical region. The company I work for works with what the client is most comfortable with. We offer the option for an hourly rate or for a design contract that estimates the number of hours, outlines the scope and gives a not to exceed cost. When working under a contract there are parameters such as how many revisions and what defines a revision as well as how many options you get to choose from.

In residential you can choose to go with a consultation which means that a designer comes in and makes recommendations. You then take the ideas and implement the design yourself. If you want a designer to pull the look together for you, then you will want to go with a design contract, hourly rate or cost plus option.

A contract works the same way as commercial, and an hourly rate is self explanatory. Cost-plus is when the designer is also selling you the furnishings for the home, they make a profit off the furniture and do not charge you for design. Places like Walter E Smith and Ethan Allen work this way, but so do many smaller design firms and independent consultants. A newer thing is to charge a small fee in addition to the cost-plus to cover overhead and in case a client doesn't go through with the design.

Design fees are usually not based on the total budget, they are based on the size and scope of the project and the going rate in the area. Some people try to redesign a space that is under 1,000 square feet on under 5k while others plan to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars. The best thing you can do is find a designer who you trust and feel comfortable with.

9. DesignerVicky

DesignerVicky New Seed

This is a great question as each designer charges fees their own way, and sometimes will charge different pending the job being contracted. It is common to charge a dollar amount per square foot designed or to charge by the hour. The amount per hour or per square foot varies largely on the scope of the job and the accreditation and experience of the designer. For example: it is likely a designer with ASID or LEED licenses would charge more than one without them; let me mention that it is safer to work with a designer that has ASID membership as there are strict educational and moral standards which designers affiliated with such a group must adhere to. My advice to you would be to make sure you "do your home work" in order to come to a fair price and that there is a letter of agreement involved when any project is contracted.

10. HeatherM

HeatherM New Seed

I think it's also important to note that designers can become NCIDQ Certified in which they take an exam and have to perform industry requirements and keep up with continuing education credits to keep their certifications. Some states require licensing to practice interior design, and the designer has to first pass all three sections of the NCIDQ exam.

IIDA (International Interior Design Association) and ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) are the two main professional organizations in the United States and require the designer to pass the NCIDQ exam to become a professional member. They offer educational credits and community for furthering growth in interior design. Their web sites are great ways to find an interior designer. ASID and IIDA do not license designers, only state governments offer licenses.

LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) offers an accreditation exam (which is different from a certification or licensing exam) and is open to anyone with an interest in green design, planning and construction.