fertilizing tomato transplants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by blacklabs165, Apr 17, 2012.

1. blacklabs165

blacklabs165 New Seed

I just planted a couple rows of tomato plants and was wondering what they should be fertilized with. Someone told me to go with high nitrogen low phosphorus and pottasium. I started these plants about a month ago in the garage. They were in need of transplanting because they were getting long and spindly. I also noticed that they had a lot of purple on the back side of the leaves. I planted them roughly 2/3 in the ground. I wanted to give them a shot of something so they will take off. I also put some pepper plants out should they be fertilized the same as the tomatoes? thanks

2. Loading...

3. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

Welcome to the stew. I would put whatever plant food you have already been using on them. I always give my plants a shot of ferts when setting out.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's usually better to let transplants settle in for a week to 10 days before fertilizing them. Transplanting is a bit of a shock, and the root system needs to adjust.
    High nitrogen stimulates leaf growth. Phosphorus, the middle of NPK, stimulates root and flower growth, and the K is potash which helps overall health.
    If you give your transplants high nitrogen you'll get a growth burst, but the plant will be weaker and more prone to disease and bugs. When you fertilize, you may want to use a fertilizer with a higher middle number (5-10-5, for example).
    You were wise to plant your tomatoes deep. The purple on the leaf underside is normal and will go away with exposure to more sunlight.
    Your pepper plants will benefit from the same treatment as the tomatoes.

5. blacklabs165

blacklabs165 New Seed

I had just bought some superthrive and was going to give the weakest plants a shot with it. Should I still wait ten days to apply the superthrive? Ha e you ever used it before.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Blacklab, You did fine. Other than the fertilizer advise everything was good. Marlingardener was giving you good info on the type. I use a commercial fert 11-48-8 (I think) for all my watering in when transplanting. High nitrogen will do just as jane mentioned...lots of top growth and a weak plant. high nitrogen is marketed for fast greenup of a lawn, but it is really not good for your garden or lawn.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Blacklab, Superthrive, as I understand it, is a hormone solution that helps plants "settle in" after transplanting. I think Cherylad uses it. It isn't so much a fertilizer as a booster for root growth, I think :rolleyes: .
    Using it once on the recently planted peppers and tomatoes should help them adjust. Read the directions carefully, and if necessary send Cheryl a private message. She is a fantastic gardener and won't steer you wrong!

8. blacklabs165

blacklabs165 New Seed

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to water once with superthrive(I prolly wont hit the plants that look ok) and then wait a couple weeks and fertilize with a higher phosphorus fertilizer. I had bought some Alaska fish emulsion it is 5-1-1. Is there ever a time to fertilize with this much nitrogen? I will prolly get tomato tone I have heard a couple good things about it. I am trying to stay on the all natural side of things (if that is even possible anymore) I do know one thing. I am ready for some fresh veggies!!!!

9. blacklabs165

blacklabs165 New Seed

I had just bought some superthrive and was going to give the weakest plants a shot with it. Should I still wait ten days to apply the superthrive? Ha e you ever used it before.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The fish emulsion 5-1-1 is a very, VERY mild fertilizer, but it is a great additive to support microscopic organisms good for your soil and plant. Use it sparingly though, otherwise you will see mold grow on the surface of the soil. More of this is not better when fertilizing the plants. I haven't seen a big difference before and after with superthrive. Others think it's the best thing ever. Try it for yourself. Maybe I should go get some more and do an.... EXPERIMENT. I have the perfect setup for it. I'll try to get it tomorrow.

11. blacklabs165

blacklabs165 New Seed

I ordered mine on amazon. 4 ounce bottle shipped to the door for $11.92. I am curious to see how it works. I have a couple plants that are right at dying and I planned on doubling the dose and seeing what happens. I will take some pics.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't think doubling the dose is any more helpful to the plant than just following the instructions.

13. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

one thing you might want to try next year is some bonemeal under each plant when setting out.

This gives a big boost to the root system and i find gives the plants a great healthy boost for the rest of the year.

which reminds me i need to go out and buy some :)

14. blacklabs165

blacklabs165 New Seed

We have some more seedlings to put out. I will try the bonemeal on the ones we transplant this weekend. Here is a question about the tomato seedlings. We started the seedlings a while back and they were in need of transplanting at least two weeks ago. They have maxed themselvess out in their containers. If I plant these will they take back off or are they always going to have trouble throughout the season. Ill take some pics of the seedlings.

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If by "maxed themselves out in their containers" you mean they are rootbound (when removed from the container there is a mass of roots all intertwined) you need to loosen the root mass. I simply pull the bottom of the mass apart making an inverted V of the mass, and then spread it slightly when planting. It sounds harsh, and you do lose a few roots, but it's better than having the plant try to grow with no outward bound roots!
    I concur with Carolyn--double doses are usually double trouble.

16. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

A client bought me some of her dried chicken poop that i will as when I transplant the plants into their new home which will be soon.

carolyn likes this.