fertilizing tomato transplants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by blacklabs165, Apr 17, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hummerbum, That is a most excellent fertilizer. I buy it, from a company called greenacres, for the strawberry bed and in the hightunnel.... After a heavy rain the run off in the chicken yard goes through our lawn...It looked like that area needed baled before the rest of the lawn needed mowed. WOW oh WOW did it grow!

2. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

In regards to applying Superthrive, I would recommend using it in accordance with another fertilizer, either liquid or water soluable: DO NOT double up on quantity, use only as directed on bottle! When planting tomatoes, adding a bit epsom salts..that contain magnesium and sulfur..to soil in the bottom of hole and mixing it in, helps aid in overall health of the plant(s) during the growing season (if needed, 2 tbs. epsom salts may be mixed to a gallon of water, used to further boost plants immune system). At the time of transplanting out any veggies, I have found using this mixture to "water them in" is totally unbelievable in results: mix 1 tbs. 15-30-15 fertilizer with 1 tbs. epsom salts and 1/2 cup of hydrgogen peroxide per gallon of water, use to settle soil well around plants and their roots (this "recipe" was posted, on this site, by a gentleman farmer a few years ago. I have been using it ever since as it's the absolute GREATEST for transplants and plants in general). Now, on the subject of using dried chicken manure: it IS POTENT, USE CARE as it can easily "burn" plants instead of helping them! Chicken manure is best applied when made into a "tea" and that water used on tomatoes, etc. to avoid mishaps (fill a bucket 1/3 full of the manure; add water to the rim; stir several times a day for a week, then begin using. As water level drops, keep adding more to replenish the supply..use sparingly because of potency). Hopefully, I've helped (?) a bit?

Frank likes this.
  3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I've heard ya'all mention SuperThrive, I am going to have to find this stuff!!!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I got mine at walmart in the Garden dept. fertilizer section. right next to the rooting hormone. It was $10.62.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I second the warning about using chicken manure sparingly. I let ours sit for 4 to 6 months in the compost heap before using it. It is so high in nitrogen that it can literally burn plants--they look as if someone took a torch to them--all brown and crispy. It is a marvelous fertilizer, when used carefully.

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

If you want something to give the roots a boost and will not harm the plant,,Take 3 or 4 pieces of willow tree. Doesn`t have to be big, just green. Pound the twig with a hammer and stick 3 or 4 in a quart jar and fill with water. Let sit a few days adding water if it evaporates. Willow secretes the same type rooting hormone that you buy. Thats why you can just stick a willow twig in the ground and it will grow. You can take that quart of willow water and add half as much water again,1 1/2 quarts, and use it when you first transplant to stimulate root growth. That will help them settle in fast.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I bought a bag of nano prilled aged manure when I bought mine and we only sprinkled it sparingly over the soil in the high tunnel and strawberry beds. It wasn't a huge amount.

8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I'll make sure to watch out for the chicken poop...thanks

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Guess I have been pretty lucky for when we clean the chickens for the last time in the very very late fall we spread it all over the 2 gardens. The hubby, he is wonderful, tills one last quick time then and when he tills it 2 times in the Spring and it is good to go. Everything has grown wonderfully. We also use a little line at the same time.

The rest of the cleanings go into the compost pile with lime also.

Barb in Pa.