First time gardener with stupid question

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by MaryE, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MaryE

MaryE New Seed

Hello,
    I'm new to the idea of growing my own seedlings indoors and was wondering.....when i recieve a package of seeds, should i put the whole pack in one container..or maybe 1-2 seeds in each egg-carton slot? I dont know much about thinning and may want to avoid that.
    Thanks for your time!

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Mary,

Your question is of course, NOT stupid at all, let's be clear about that. In fact, it is a straight foreward quection but it is dificult to answer without knowing what you are planning to do with the seedlings ultimately...that is to say, where the plantlets will end up--and what type of plants you will be growing (flowers or veg).

I'll bet if you asked several different folks these questions, you'd get just as many different answers.
    As the saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat".

How I plant seeds to gernminate depend entirely upon what I plan to do with them once they are big enough to transplant to the next stage.
    For instance: if you were going to plant something like Lobelia pendula or say, a Nigells sort, then I would plant the whole pack in a pot or the open ground.

If you want grow something like zinnias or lychnis or sunflowers, I would do them individually (or at least two)in a very small pot and transfer them when they have their first set of leaves.
    When it comes to veg, I usually plant one seed per pot, but then I plant very many of them. I am talking here about things like beans, peas, courgettes, etc...NOT root veg.

Well, I hope that this gives you a bit of an idea... but as I said, for a more specific answer it is necessary to know what you plan to plant your seedlings ultimately.

Anyway...welcome to the forums. I hope that yopu like it here, there are lots of knowledgeable and enthousiastic gardners present to help.

3. MaryE

MaryE New Seed

Ahh I guess that is an important tidbit to include.

I'm planning on buying various packets of herbs like Anise, Chamomile, lavender, rosemary..your typical herb bunch. I'd like to start them indoors with a planters bulb and heat and then transplant them to an outdoor garden box come spring. I'd like to use my herbs for teas, cooking and so forth and want to have time to enjoy them before summers end.

Thanks for the useful info..i'll remember your tips for the future. Hah i'm coming to understand there are many ways to skin that cat in the gardening world.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I'd say that you could plant the anise seeds and the chamomile seeds in small containers and then set the seedlings outside after all chance of frost (± Mothers´Day), but as for the lavender and rosemary, I would suggest buying a small plant from a garden center and plant it outside, or in moveable containers. It will save you loads of time.
    I have them both in my herb patch and they stay there permanently. In fact my rosemary has to be severely pruned from time to time.

Advertisement
  5. jungseed

jungseed Seedling

I'd second the lavender plant. Lavender is very difficult to germinate. The government standard on lavender germination rate is about 40%, and that's for professionals.
    Just wanted you to know this so you don't get frustrated with this one.
    Many other herbs are very easy to grow from seed. Hope you'll try it and enjoy experience.

6. jungseed

jungseed Seedling

Sorry, I shouldn't make it sound so negative - if you do try the lavender from seed, PM me - I'll get you extra directions to help you be more successful.

7. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

I've never had luck germinating lavender, but have read you should chill(put in the fridge) the seeds for a few weeks to fool them into 'thinking' it had been winter, and then they do better.
    I buy myself a rosemary plant each spring. (you see I'm not great at starting seeds)It is a plant that likes plenty of humidity.
    Basil, parsley, chervil and dill are quite easy to start, 1 or 2 seeds per starter cell. I have Dill mature from seed, not started ahead of time, in my zone 5 garden.

8. MaryE

MaryE New Seed

Wow thanks for the info on lavender, theres so many different types and it's so popular that i guess i just assumed it was easy to grow. i'm glad you let me know!
    With plants that i may just put two seeds in at a time..could i maybe use an egg carton as a starter cell?
    not sure if thats something people may do.

9. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Lots of people use egg cartons as starter cells. I find they dry out too quickly for me.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I would just like to second the egg carton cell idea. Not only do they dry out quickly, but they are quite shallow as well.
    I make paper cups for my seeds, but then I plant lots and lots at once and pack them like sardines, so they don't dry out so quickly.

11. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Then again, if you use paper egg cartons, you can just cut apart the cups and plant them directly in the ground when the time comes. But you do need to keep on top of watering them.
    Yup, 'nother vote here for getting lavender and rosemary starts. Actually, if you know someone with a rosemary, have them bend a branch down , pat on some soil, weigh it down with a rock or something, and it will grow roots- then you can cut off the rooted part and there you go.

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I use Yogurt cups for mine........Most after they are germinated and ready to thin out.......To start, I say plant them thinly in margarine tubs and move as they enlarge......