first time greenhousing

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by catkins, Apr 6, 2006.

1. catkins

catkins Seedling

Hi everyone.
    Today i bought a greenhouse, its only small,4x6.I havent the foggiest idea where to start :? ( remember im a beginner) im going to fill it with my seedlings, but then would like to try some salads.Does anyone have any tips on first time greenhousing?
    thanks

2. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

This is the first time I have had a greenhouse too. DR built it for me. I just have to remember to go out every morning and open the vent. Otherwise it gets too hot in it. I have about 600 pots of stuff in it. I have to water them every morning and sometimes in the evening. I have Winter Thyme, Creeping Thyme, Summer Savory, and Sweet Marjarom coming up already, plus two kinds of lavender and sweet peas and Black Eyed Susans, and Glory Vines. Today, I bought eggplant, peppers and tomatoes (seeds) to start tomorrow. I bought some flower seeds too. I moved 21 hollyhocks out by the front fence. I have never planted hollyhocks but they come up everywhere. They are all over town and the seed is spread by birds and wind I guess. Dooley

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry I can't help as I don't have a greenhouse but I'm keen to know how you both get on with yours. :D

4. catkins

catkins Seedling

Sounds like you are really getting on with yours dooley.I built it yesterday, but havent put the glass in yet.I need to make a base for it first and hope to start the concrete and paving today.
    I had two and a half tons of gravel delivered yesterday and it took all day to put it in.My back garden looks so much better, the greenhouse is a treat for all my hard work, still so much to do though!! Look at the rest of the garden :D ohhhhhhhh my aching back :(

Advertisement
  5. dooley

Oh, It looks good! My greenhouse is made with poly material. It slants up against the garden shed. It still needs the trim but it is doing what I needed it to do. Things are growing. Today, we bought more peat pots and potting soil. There are just too many things to get done around here. Dooley

6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

:smt041 :smt041 Oh it's looking really good!!!! :D Neither wonder you've got an aching back though. Hope it feels better tomorrow.

7. catkins

catkins Seedling

Its the same here, sometimes i wish i could retire, i would love to spend all day everyday in the garden.
    I put my first lot of seedlings in the garden yesterday, now its been forecast that we may get some snow, so i will be digging them up again now! :x

8. catkins

catkins Seedling

Thank you!! I know laying gravel is a bit of a cop out, but its a great way to hide a bad piece of garden.I love it, my cats hate it.
    My back is much better today thanks, a bit of pain is well worth it and i forget all about my aching back when i look out of the window :)

9. Jitterbug

Jitterbug New Seed

We had an attached to the house glass greenhouse for many years. What lovely memories it brings back. It was kind of large for a hobby greenhouse, 17 X 27 and cost a fortune to heat in the winters here in PA. We grew lots of seedlings every spring, vegetables and flowers. I took hundreds of geranium cuttings in the fall and put them in there in a sandbox, by spring I would pot them up and let em grow.It was necessary to coat the glass with shading in the summer and remove it in the fall, and daily watering, and vents and fans for cooling. Alas life got too busy and we had it removed after 18 years. Our friends missed it because we supplied many of them with free vegetable plants. Enjoy, experiment, and have fun with it.

10. dooley

I loaded the pictures to photobucket this afternoon so here I go. I hope it works this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, it did work. I have lots of plants coming up now and we are having to have it open every day as it gets hot in it. But it keeps pretty warm at night. Dooley

11. catkins

catkins Seedling

wow dooley!!
    It makes me laugh when you say its getting too hot!!
    Its still freezing here in the uk, its going to be a while before i get any decent sort of temperature, so my plants are still on window sills in the house.Im keeping my fingers crossed for a warm summer.But then this is England, so maybe i should invest in a heater :D

12. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Wonderful pictures - we moved to our current house about a year and half ago, leaving the standard ranch-style suburban lot where nothing would grow to our acre. Hoorah!

It's mostly douglas firs, but I have a couple good areas that are not affected by them and the ground is utterly loaded with bulbs. It has a little greenhouse, wood frame with acrylic window panels and I'm just trying to learn to use it. So far all I've really done is shelter my geraniums over the winter so they didn't freeze, and started a small tray of sweetpeas for my garden. I look forward to learning more about how to do this... It doesn't get that hot or that cold here, the Willamette Valley is very temperate, but it still freezes/sometimes snows. It's a treat to have someplace to put all my garden stuff besides in with the car-parts in the garage too....feels very "gardeny."

I wondered if shading it in the summer would be a good idea, but it's next to the grape arbor and the grapes all grow right up it, creating a natural canopy every year.