Floating Solar Globes

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by sensibullmastiffs, Jun 29, 2009.

1. sensibullmastiffs

sensibullmastiffs New Seed

I have recently purchased some floating solar globes for my pond. I was wondering if anyone else may have had/been having the same experience as myself. Two of the globes I bought are completely sealed units that DO NOT come apart. I'm thinking its quite possibly normal, since they each seem to be experiencing some condensation forming on the inside of the globe leaving some water inside the globe(at this point I'm pretty sure they are not leaking) I have no way of draining the water out of them. Has anyone else noticed the same thing? I guess my concern is that eventually they may gather so much water that the connections may start to corrode inside and shorten their lifespan (which I knew would expire eventually anyway when the rechargeble battery would ever need to be replaced. I may be totally out in left field here, but I'm thinking the combination of the warm water and hot sun is causing the condensation. Will keep any eye on them. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. azw1879
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If the units are correctly sealed then you really shouldn't be having any problems with condensation. I have had solar floating lights in my pond for years and have never had this problem. Try contacting the shop and/or the manufactureres of the lights and see what they have to say. Good luck.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Solar floating lights sounds very unusual. I would love to see a pic to see what they look like!.

5. gardentoad

gardentoad Seedling

I had a couple of them. Both had the condensation in them. I left them out all winter and one lasted just the one season and the other is 3 years old and still glows.I still leave it out in the winter. It isn't quite as bright as it used to be.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Here are a couple of pictures of the type of solar pond lights I have mine are red, yellow, green blue and white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sensibullmastiffs

thanks for your input, one of the globes was infact leaking and took on about an inch of water inside so I returned it and exchanged it for another. So far so good. Silly design as the rubber on/off switch is on the bottom of the globe which sits in the water. Attached is a picture of what the one I purchased looks like. The other one I bought is similar to the one in the pics you posted Eileen , I do like that one better as I can unscrew the lid and replace the battery, so that ones not a throw away when it dies.

8. sensibullmastiffs

9. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

They are a sealed unit and yes they do collect condensation and then they short out. Now there is no way to fix them or even replace the batteries. I love mine I get them from abc dist. for 5.95 when they quit I give them a new life as ladybugs. The momma is a old cooking wok.

10. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

How cute! That's a wonderful and creative way to recycle an item that was so useful and inexpensive as well.

12. sensibullmastiffs

That is such a neat idea!!!

13. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Thanks for the creativity...the ladies gave me a giggle...too cute :D