Flower digging dog! Help?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by StarLiteFarms, May 4, 2007.

1. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

Can you all share your ideas of how to keep your dogs from digging up your flowerbeds??
    Ive heard of 'cheyenne pepper' didnt work......
    Hot wire is not good right now since Ive got a running 2 year old toddler ... I just recently redid my beds boarder with the pretty blocks (2 rows of them).. and dont want to clutter them anymore. I use to have a home made picket fence which hubby said its gotta go now cause its getting weathered and broken lol. Sooooo out it went and the first day i took it down, i left for a few hours and found my dog had dug a nice hole covering one rose bush and removing my one piece of ornemental grass. LUCKILy I hadnt planted the other flowers yet.

Thanks in advance
    Sarah

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. carolyn
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. greengirl
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

This is an interesting one. I used to live in the city of Galway and on the suburbs/estates there I used to see 2 litre clear plastic bottles about 80% full with water strewn around on the grassy areas near trees. I used to wonder what they were there for until someone enlightened me one day, they were for keeping dogs away! Somehow this is supposed to work. For the record the bottles were stripped of all types of labelling etc... May be worth a try because it is inexpensive.

Other then that I'm sure there is a pepper solution that someone has tried?

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I had heard that those water bottles keep rabbits out of the garden Frank. I wonder if it really works?

5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I wouldn't suggest using pepper, if the animal gets it in his or her eyes the results are not good. A cat especially or rabbit will claw their eyes out trying to stop the burning.

Advertisement
  6. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

I have german shepards and they say they don't work on my breed but I've heard the buried wire and the collar thing works. It would take some work but you could fence off anything in any shape and you wouldn't have to worry about the kids.

7. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

Thank you for your ideas :) I wish I could afford that collar and the 'invisible wire' but its really expensive and times are rought right now. The waterbottle idea sounds like the 'fly keep away idea'.. hanging halfway filled ziplock bags to keep flies away.. (; (It didnt work for me... how bout yall?)

8. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

Someday I will have a dog that doesn't dig up the garden. I guess until then I am stuck with my two dogs, which can completely tear up a garden in a matter of minutes. What they don't dig , they stomp! I call them landscraping dogs. There seems to be certain areas that are attractive to them and I try and give them a little space there and keep them out of the other parts.

9. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

I talked to a friend who said to put chicken wire down and plant through it, cut holes if you need to. She said dogs don't like the feel on there feet and digging is 'almost' impossible. Said it also works on cats if you have a flower/litter box problem. The only bad part is getting it back up if you ever change your mind. Good Luck! If you try it let me know if it works.

10. loontik

loontik New Seed

Well wouldnt it easy if you lock your dog inside cage. This is what i did to my dog