Foiled the opposums and raccoons....No more fish dinners

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Jewell, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Over a year ago the raccoons and opossums totally emptied my pond of plants, fish, and even the dragonfly larva. I couldn't find even a little water beetle. Last spring I gave up, emptied the pond and cleaned it out totally. I was going to turn the pond into a bog, filling it with dirt and bog plants, but nature rained before I got around to it. It was filled with water again.

In July I went out and bought some plants and feeder gold fish to try again. Moved some water lilies from a small plant pond that I keep covered with wire (ugly by effective and I get to see the water lilies bloom). We went a couple of months before the critters were back. Fish and plants are a welcome menu change for city wildlife.
    [​IMG]
    pond from other side ( photo / image / picture from Jewell _2009's Garden )

Then I was out in the garage and I spied the old electric fencer from when we had goats (a life-time ago). I was going to set it up again to keep the critters out instead of in. My husbands plug-in for the Christmas lights was my source of power.

Rebar was my little posts and I ran 2 wires with the bottom wire at three inches and the top wire at 8-12 inches.

The dogs and cats each got zapped, only once. The critters have only gotten zapped three times where they have moved the little fence. The five or so raccoons, and goodness knows how many possums have lost their swimming pool and fish market.

For the first time in five years my fish have made it through the winter. They are growing big and there are lots of young black babies from last summer. The water plant pots are not moved from one end to the other as the critters play water sports. Hurray!

[​IMG]
    Electric fenced fish pond ( photo / image / picture from Jewell _2009's Garden )

The critters and dogs still have a couple of other small ponds (25-150 gallons) to drink from and wash their food. Surprisingly I have not noticed a drop-off in the bird bathing. The fence sits back far enough that the birds can still take their baths.

2. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Good for you .It must feel great to know you finally out smarted yor critters and you can watch your fish and plants.I the your pond is so neat.

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely pond. :D Congratulations on your electric fence idea, I'm glad it works for you.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Foiled at last!! :D So glad you dug out that fence and erected it. Now your fish and plants can happily grow for you without the worry that they may get eaten. Well done.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good for you Jewell! You've outsmarted the critters! Your pond looks great :D