For those in the Dallas area

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Clay_22, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

my thoughts and prayers are with everyone there as I just heard a couple of tornadoes touched down today. Hopefully no one was hurt.

2. Loading...

3. Carol Blue-Garcia

Carol Blue-Garcia Seedling

Need to check on my son, in Arlington.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Carol, you might not be able to contact him if you use a cell phone. The cell phone service is reportedly dead in much of Arlington.

There was one about a mile east of us heading towards Plano earlier. There appears to be a tornado on the ground in Forney, east of Dallas....with the possibility of 5 more swirling in the clouds.

There is a lot of damage in many areas but so far just some minor injuries to people.

Go to WFAA.com/weather to get updated info and some videos of the tornadoes and damage.
    If you look at one of the Radar images, look for the word Carrollton,...that's where I live.

It's now 4:25 Central Day light time and the storms have moved off to our east, there might be some pop-up storms for a few hours as the system leaves the area completely.
    Thankfully with all the damage in Arlington, Lancaster, Forney and other places there have been no major injuries reported.

5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Glad to see that you posted just recently Miss Toni. Heard on the radio about the 'naders in the DFW area. Immediately thought of you and yours, and the safety of all of the above.

Today is the anniversary of the Xenia 'nader. '74 it was. Great big 'un, like to took out the whole town. I was a couple miles away when it hit. The missus was in her basement just a couple blocks over from total devastation.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, I'm so glad you are safe! Carol, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your son's safety. Please let us know how he is.

7. toni

Yesterday was the 55th anniversary of a major tornado that tore through the southern part of Dallas, http://www.1957dallastornado.net/

There are more and more reports of damage as the storm moves to the east and north of us.

8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Toni I to am glad you and hopefully other Stewers that are in those areas are safe also. :stew1:

9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Terrifying storms before during and after. Glad to here everyone is safe so far....prayers for those effected. It may be a long night.

Jerry

10. toni

I hasn't been officially confirmed by the NWS but the best guess now is that 12 tornadoes touched down in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area and a few miles east all resulting from the same storm as it barreled across the area.

11. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Fatbaldguy, I was born in the hospital in Xenia that was taken out by that tonado, thirty years earlier.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

WOW! I just saw the news on the weather there. Prayers for all and hope you Stewbies are safe. Scary scary situation.

13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I was worried about you Toni and anyone else in that area. Sounds pretty bad. And from a recent news flash, storm are moving down towards Dooleys part of Texas.
    Hope everyone continues to be safe!

14. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Toni glad you are ok. One touched down near Cleburne .We had sirens going all around us here in Joshua.

15. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Lightning and thunder with no wind and very little rain. I suspect we were on the fringes of the storm. Sure made Chance mad. She barks at thunder so we are a bit short on sleep but otherwise things are looking good. I'm sure the plants appreciated the lightning. Everything is standing tall.
    It's very foggy out there this morning.
    dooley

16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Although severe thunderstorms with hail were predicted, all we got was 1/4" of rain and some rumbles and flashes in the distance. My husband ran into a band of heavy rain and hail on the way home from work, but fortunately there was no car damage. We were lucky this time. I sure wish the folks in North Texas had been lucky, too.
    Dooley, we're in "pea soup" fog, also!