Freeze ‘em In

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 23, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The beans are coming fast and furious. We could process them every day if we wanted to, but we are doing it every other day mostly.

How we do it:
    1). Wash them and blanch them.
    2). Cool them in cold water, drain, then dump them onto a cloth, pat them dry with a different one as well with paper towel.
    53C78FAE-A6E1-4A04-88E8-AA24C0281622.jpeg

3). Bag them and place them in the fridge for a few hours to cool down all the way.
    4). Place the bags single layer on the fast freeing shelf in the frezer.
    ADB14745-C669-43EC-9DA1-CE98E957BF6F.jpeg
    5). once thoroughly frozen, they go into one of the freezer’s storage drawer in labeled bag for quick locating.
    25F78F11-09D5-4946-B7E6-3798CC1733BF.jpeg

That is it, really. Here is a pack of already frozen beans to show that he patting-dry means that they hardly sick together. There is a little frost on them, but one squeeze of the hand and they are as loose as a beanbag. Take a look:
    5E10130D-C925-4E76-B3D8-28015DC858B8.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  2. Loading...

3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

They look great Sjoerd! I didn't know that patting them dry would allow them to freeze without sticking together. That is a huge time saver. Thanks Buddy. :) I'm going to try that this year.

Cayuga Morning, eileen and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Mel, it was the trouble-saving and time-saving that is exactly the reason why I wrote this piece. I thought that some veggie gardeners might be interested.
    In fact, it was your writing that gave me the idea.

eileen and Melody Mc. like this.
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

:)

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Looking great, Sjoerd! That's how I freeze mine too. I'm hoping for a big crop in September.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ah Daniel— a comrade in arms. I hope you get a big haul in september. I just planted another wigwam of purple spekbonen that the lady up the way offered. She had extras. It is always amazing that one can always find room for one more something, isn’t it. Fingers crossed that I will have those to harvest about the same time as you.

8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

They look good, Sjoerd. I have more drying beans then the others. We don't usually have enough to freeze. And my granddaughter only likes them fresh off the plant. I have planted some for a fall harvest so maybe I'll freeze a few from that batch. I do have a lot of raspberries getting frozen.

Frank and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cheers Willow.
    Well, it may be fun for you to try; however, I will tell you that after trying many different sorts of beans I have discovered varying flavours…fresh and after freezing. While I have some favourites, I keep trying nes things. That is what hobbies are for, right.