French Bistro Kitchen Style Ideas

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How would everyone decorate a kitchen in a bistro or French Cafe theme? I would love to have your input.

My fiance and I are currently building a house and I am selecting kitchen cabinetry. I am thinking a red mahogany would be nice and dramatic. I want to incorporate a bistro theme however, do you think this would be possible with the wood color?

The kitchen, nook and family room are all open on to one another.

If I were to get the red mahogany, would I have to match my floors in the family room and the rest of the house with the cabinets?

I would appreciate any ideas you could provide. Thanks in advance.

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi steph and welcome to GardenStew :wave: Glad to have you here.

Now I'm not an interior expert but I do like to share my opinions :) I really think the bistro style is great, very relaxing and warm. You could just imagine the cafe sounds, the stirring of coffee cups, the chattering of friends, the movement of plates. There is something very comforting about it.

I think the red mahogany would be a nice choice because I did a search for some bistro images and I see a lot of that shade of red. I would personally only match the floors of the kitchen, nook and family room only. That would confine the bistro feel to the most 'bistro-ish' area of the home :)

Maybe you could adorn your walls with some kind of cafe paintings. This would reinforce the theme.

Also some kind of mock menu would be cool. Or a better idea buy a chalkboard so that you write what is on the 'menu' when you invite guests around :p

Hope these ideas help. If I come up with more I will be sure to post them here. ;)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great ideas! Thank you GardenStew. I have to say, I am most excited for the chalkboard, if you can believe it. I think that will bring it altogether. Thanks again for the ideas!

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Glad to help steph!! :p