Fresh Pesto Recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Chris_Moran, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Chris_Moran

Chris_Moran New Seed

For anyone interested here is my recipe for fresh pesto sauce. I first made pesto from the leaves of a supermarket basil plant that I had grown to 2.5ft (75cm) high in around 6 weeks (during an unusually hot Scottish summer!).

[​IMG]
    The recipe below makes enough pesto for around 8 people which is not bad value from an initial spend of ~50p (90 cents)on the basil. It will freeze ok.

100g fresh basil leaves
    20g sea salt
    50g pine nuts
    4 (or 6!) cloves of garlic
    110g Parmesan cheese
    250ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil

You could blend all the ingredients in a food processor but using a mortar and pestle is the more authentic way. Grind the basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic and sea salt in the mortar until you see a pulp begin to form. Add the Parmesan cheese a little at a time until a thick paste has been formed. Now pour in the oil a little at a time and work with the pestle until it has all been absorbed. Serve with your favourite pasta, fresh bread or even boiled new potatos (and a fine Italian white wine!).

You might even want to experiment by swapping the pine nuts with pistacchio nuts.

Chris

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Yummie Pesto! Thanks for that Chris. I hope that I will find an opportunity to make it soon :p