From the Beginning, Musings of a Journey

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

With this new round of foto’s we can see the progress there. It is actually looking quite attractive now already.

Jewell likes this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Jewel what amazing accomplishments you garden has taken just in a few weeks. Congratulations on the design and working on a hillside is especially challenging. Especially - Like the front walkway , trees and plants have embellished the curb appeal 100%.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Cayuga Morning and Jewell like this.
  3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    @Sjoerd thank you. I am impatient and am planting annuals now that I can see where the perennials and hostas were placed last fall. More perennials to come. I have lots of black eyed Susan’s I hope to relocate.

@Pacnorwest The sidewalk and gate were put in last summer and spring. Time has quickly gone by and fortunately this blessing of a place has given me plenty to keep me busy.

I am currently working on the second hillside and trying to determine if I can have access to the field from that side also.
    IMG_7174.jpeg

The rain from the gutters runs in the white pipe to what will some day be a raised bed for blueberries. The bed ️ will sit between the yucca plant and big fern to the stairs on the other side of the cart. The gravel and rocks here are like a quarry so I am putting all my green bin yard clippings behind the cart.

‘Against the fence I have a lot of gravel and tree stumps. Some old some cut last fall. I have to monitor for growth since they were weed trees and shrubs, laurel, privet, Douglas fir.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Very interesting garden implements going on. Nice job and using natural resources to water and run off in this climate is a necessity. By July your plans will all be in place for a remarkable garden. Can’t wait to see it all..:smt041

Sjoerd and Jewell like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am hoping for some luck with those black-eyed Susans. I especially like those and moved some of mine this past October. I am waiting for a sign of survival now.

Cayuga Morning, Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Jewell

@Pacnorwest by July the landscape will be drying out so it will be interesting to see how the new plantings do.

@Sjoerd the black eyed Susan’s are a hardy lot. Under your care I’m sure they will thrive.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Jewell, I'm just catching up with this stream. I'm really impressed with the improvements you are making and particularly impressed by your vision. I'm also remembering how you made a wonderful camping caravan! You are a creative woman.
    Please continue posting, I think we all are enjoying watching the transformation of your new home & garden.

Jewell, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Jewell

@Cayuga Morning thanks, I am trying to keep it simple. Things will evolve as I take into consideration the property and my own limitations and joys.

Had the caravan out a few weekends ago for the first time in two years. Am trying out new experiences and seeing what is a match.

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I like your attitude.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    Jewell, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Jewell

This evening I decided to chronicle my slow developing sitting area started shortly after we moved in the fall of 2021. This is our second home and the house was meant to be a project. It was also a means of giving us some privacy from family (our son and girl friend) that because of health reasons and high medical bills came to live with us.

Our first winter we hired a contractor to replace a retaining wall that collapsed where I am currently parking the caravan. As the winter progressed I realized that the back area next to the house was the only sunny spot to sit outside during the winter. I had the contractor come back and continue the masonry blocks around where I could semi level a winter sitting area. I worked on what turned into two levels (three if you count the outside planting beds) all of 2022 and continue today.

‘The upper area is a winter sunny area for contemplation. It is actually the only place in the yard that has a sunny area during the winter.
    IMG_7253.jpeg

A small wall from reclaimed masonry bricks from around the yard separates upper and lower levels inside the fencing. The large snowball bush has a hummingbird feeder year round.

The ground around the snowball bush slopes into the fire pit area. A fire is good for sitting around in the evenings.
    IMG_7256.jpeg

Around the outside of this sitting area is the bunny proof fencing (to discourage feral bunnies) The fence was so I could have flowers protected from cute bunnies. Last summer they were prolific. In the area outside the fence I planted rescued peonies. They were from the yard before by the collapsed septic tank area we had filled/leveled. Most peonies appeared to have survived but it appears only one will bloom this year. The trellises are for clematis I transplanted from the other property. I am also slowly bringing a carload at a time of perennials to plant in the border. Filling up the car with plants hardly makes any notice when planted in the beds. With annuals added hopefully some warm weather will make things cover the ground more (plus another batch of mulch).
    IMG_7252.jpeg

There are three blueberry bushes set at the end. Plus a small assortment of annuals (petunias, lobelia) and perennials (phlox, ferns, wood betony, lilies, dead nettle and anything else I can find to relocate).
    IMG_7250.jpeg

My biggest challenge has been how to set the second gate on the upper area by the house to finish the bunny proofing. There are so many rocks in the ground and it’s so close to the house and porch I have been postponing the job. Eventually when I’m ready to crawl around on the ground under the stairs and hand dig the job will get done. :( Prior to me falling off the last step spring of 2022 and spraining both ankles, the bottom landing and leveling had not yet taken place. So painting is in order sometime after a long dry spell (or maybe a cement pad?)

IMG_7258.jpeg

Pacnorwest, Frank and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Jewell

A view from the fire pit area to the back of the lot. Also my first attempt at putting together a raised bed. Leveling????
    What’s that? Actually I tried and failed. Wasn’t patient enough. Learned to use the pick matlock and level for the next one with better success. Raised bed has scarlet runner beans, pear tomatoes, kale.

This is the turn around and parking area.
    IMG_7259.jpeg

Another sitting area next to the last one. You can get an idea of the slop of the lot in this area. It is very private and cosy under the snowball bush. I’m enjoying this sitting area the most during this time of year. It started out being where I keep the riding lawn mower stored during the summer and is the outside entrance to the daylight basement. It was such a pleasant place to sit between loads of laundry I had to modify it to fit my needs/wants.

The main basement room is my art studio and guest room. I got it painted during the winter. There is also a small space for a workshop, small potting area, room to store the riding lawnmower during the winter and the laundry room. Will finish painting the rest of the basement next winter or before I have to store the mower? Then I can start on the rest of the house. Everyone has their priorities :whistling:

IMG_7260.jpeg

You can’t really tell, but there is my second raised bed, and it’s almost level. Just a tomato plant, onions, lemon cucumbers, kale and greens

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Impressive digs, Jewell. You and your man have found a little gem there.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Wow beautiful I could do a lot of contemplating in your beautiful garden. So peaceful and tranquil.

Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  14. Jewell

This morning I emptied the current load of mulch on the hillside path. Am still collecting rocks from around the yard to finish the planting base. It’s nice to have a means to access this area.

I weed whacked yesterday and uncovered more weed barrier. It keeps me from getting rid of the weeds. Haven’t decided to remove it or just mulch over it. The yard is too big for me to be fussy at this time IMG_7282.jpeg

walking down from the top is a breeze now.
    IMG_7283.jpeg

Am still considering different ways to finish the bottom of the path. After I have collected rocks I will decide. It will require some digging based on what boulders I can move to this spot.
    IMG_7284.jpeg

IMG_7288.jpeg

Here are the stones I found to create a bed for another blueberry bush. The rocks make weed whacking much safer for the plants. It has been amazing seeing the rocky soil become loam in such a short time with the addition of mulch.
    IMG_7289.jpeg

Pacnorwest, Frank and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Shaping-up nicely, Jewell. Everything seems to be going so well for you. It is impressive to see.

Pacnorwest likes this.