From the Beginning, Musings of a Journey

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    The front planting areas are beginning to transform. Had to move a ‘first frost’ hosta that i unwittingly plant right next to another hosta. Here he is in his new spot under the cherry tree. I seem to have planted many more hostas than I realized and will be moving at least one more for sure. IMG_7335.jpeg

The purple rhododendron was hidden by an azalea and one of the many white blooming rhododendron varieties. If it wasn’t for its single bloom last spring I would not have known it was there. It really likes having breathing room and put on a lot of show this year.
    IMG_7337.jpeg
    ‘the azaleas to the left are a work in progress. Over the years it had self rooted creating multiple plants. I’m still trying to figure out how to manage it.

Got a few lupine this spring, I haven’t purchased them in years but serendipitously they match the rhododendron in the front yard and the annuals and perennials in the back bed.
    IMG_7334.jpeg

Slowly the transferred plants are recuperating and other plants are beginning to grow. If this hot weather continues maybe all the destruction from the hail storm will be a faint memory. IMG_7333.jpeg

And the other side of the sidewalk IMG_7336.jpeg

Now it’s time to finish cleaning up and leveling the area where the cherry tree stump was taken out yesterday. Need to have it so that I can safely mow the area and it is currently fair from safe to navigate.

Pacnorwest, Netty and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Jewell— every time new and exciting shots of your work. It is fun watching the metamorphosis.

Pacnorwest and Jewell like this.
  3. Jewell

Thanks, today it felt like plants were being to have growth spurts.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jewell— nice hosta, BTW.

Pacnorwest and Jewell like this.

Advertisement
  5. Jewell

The last trail on the hillside is laid in and the rocks for the raised bed set. Now only the finishing work, waiting for it all to settle so two more blueberry bushes will have a home.

IMG_7451.jpeg

Finally got to see the flower of my weedy rose. Tiny fluffy white beauty and nasty tiny needle-like thorns are a bane for attempting to control the weeds/quack grass.

IMG_7456.jpeg

IMG_7458.jpeg

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

@Jewell it is coming along nicely. I am enjoying taking this "journey" with you.

Sjoerd, Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

I agree with everyone. A new garden with all sorts of expectations. Nice plan , organizing all that goes into it can be overwhelming. It’s all looks so effortless. Lot’s of lil beauties to admire for years.:smt041

Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  8. Jewell

Thought I’d have a look back and where we are today. I am very much a sitting outdoors sort of person….do a little and then sit awhile. So I needed to create places to do my sitting. Here’s pictures of where we started from the realtor images.

Today I will start with the back porch sitting and meditation and contemplating areas.
    Before:

IMG_7502.png

Todays photos:

From the last stair to the retaining blocks in the foreground the land falls about 2 feet. (I may be exaggerating but it is because I moved what felt like a lot of bricks and dirt :whistling:). These upper areas are fenced to keep out feral bunnies (if we ever finish the upper gate installation).
    IMG_7506.jpeg

upper level of back door sitting area
    IMG_7491.jpeg

sloping transition area
    IMG_7492.jpeg

Fire pit area
    IMG_7493.jpeg

IMG_7494.jpeg
    :)confused:Darn there is a dandelion hiding behind a chair:eek:)

:like: And the snowball bush is snowing :)

IMG_7497.jpeg

And then there is the back or basement door before….
    IMG_7500.jpeg

And presently…

IMG_7507.jpeg

IMG_7499.jpeg
    It is really nice having stairs and not a hillside to navigate and a retaining wall that won’t readily collapse on someone or something. Plus it is a very private sitting area.

A bright and cheery day to everyone. IMG_7496.jpeg

Frank and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Jewell

Thank you @Clay_22 and @Pacnorwest. I wish I knew how to plan. I have always played with what I was given and if I bought something it was on impulse. Was taken in by a video about a wonderful urban garden space. She actually planned on paper spaces, plants to go into those spaces and the results were so wonderful. Would love to do that but from my experiences plants have a unique mind of their own as to whether they will cooperate with me and my intentions. Obviously some of the Stewbies here have that wonderful understanding.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good to see the before and after pics you guys have done an excellent job. It just keeps looking better and better. I appreciate this series very much, Jewell.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

It’s come from Sad to Fab…:sete_005:

Jewell, Netty and Sjoerd like this.