From the Beginning, Musings of a Journey

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    @Pacnorwest and @Sjoerd trying to keep it simple and make sure I have safe access to all parts of the yard. I am definitely a work in progress just like the landscape.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewel it is hard to imagine you have managed so much landscaping , planted so many plants in such a short time.
    Gardening is definately a learning journey. Really appreciate you sharing the diversity with the plantings and how you put together your garden rooms. So many beautiful vignettes in your garden and holds the attention of those of us who are fortunate enough to enjoy your garden tour as your journey moves foreword.

Jewell likes this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Jewell you chose a really nice house and setting, and you are making it into a beautiful home! I like the choices you are making for your improvements. The clover yard sounds great! Bees will love it. The stones are a great look.

I don't know if your area has wildfire risks like mine in Battle Ground, WA. I think your circular drive gives you a very reassuring safety zone for that issue.

It looks like your front walk may ramp up to the house entrance smoothly? I can't tell, but it seems like a nice feature for multiple reasons.

When we were looking for house, my favorites were (still are) the first two, each about 100 years old. BUT! The inspector told me the first was infested with termites AND carpenter ants AND dry rot , throughout, and should be torn down :eek: - otherwise it was fine. Except the wiring. The second had an underground oil tank, under part of the house :)) that required EPA remediation! After multiple other houses, we settled for this one, 50 years old. I said "OK, but as-is only. I won't remodel" and have since remodeled the entire place :setc_033:. It' has become very suitable, but I really am not up to more projects.

Looking forward to more of your garden's coming into bloom!

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    Jewell, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Older homes have so much more character in so many ways. Not the cookie cutter style in many new residential sites. We chose an older home too. 52 years old and still standing. Remodeled from head to toe. I’m done don’t care if it’s old . i like it and I’m sticking to it.
    Preferance has always been to make any home my own. As Jewell has done one step at a time. She is making her place reflect her personality , which in my view always is what makes a house a ‘Home’. :headbang:

Jewell, Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.

Advertisement
  5. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Coming along beautifully @Jewell

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. Jewell

@Pacnorwest the location and northern facing aspect of the lot helped me decide the different garden rooms. I have a sunny sitting area for winter and a shady area for summer. There are also perfect viewing areas for enjoying the Olympic Mts.

Like you I’ve always liked older homes. I also appreciate the neighborhood feel where people wave, talk and share their names even if they are just out for their daily walk.

Easy access to the hillside areas helped determine paths. Moving and incorporating plants was an act of love for the collection of perennials and hostas I’d gathered over 40 years. Since my middle age son is residing in the home he grew up in and desired to turn much of the 1/3 acre lot back to grass I had plant giveaways and have slowly moved plants from one property to here.

Although it was obvious that gardeners had lived on the property. The many years from lack of maintenance, a failed and sunken septic system (prior to hooking up to city sewer) left us with decisions to clear and smooth the main area so a riding lawn mower could maintain the field (the entire property is less than 1/2 acre but feels huge to me). The lady who lived here until her death was 94 years or so. Her husband had died 4 years prior to her passing. The yard was lucky to get weed whacked by her daughter or neighbors occasionally.

Two years ago my best friend and hubby suddenly passed. Having this property to throw my energy into has been a blessing.

@Daniel W fires are always a concern in the PNW but there are no trees next to the house. Since all the brambles were cleared on my property, the neighbors have and are sprucing up there large lot. Less burnables and mowed yards always feels safer. That and multiple water hoses in the yard. For over a decade we had a cabin north of here in the woods close to the Olympic National Park. For an entire summer we watched a forest fire burned and smoldered on visible hillsides that could not be accessed. They were too steep and rocky. The fall rains finally put them out but it was another year before the road below could be reopened due to falling rocks.

The street level is higher than the front walk. I will remove more of the soil to have a flat entry to the gate. Am half way there. It was hard to believe the house did not have a mailbox or front door path. It was one of the few things I contracted. Because of water runoff from the street I have had to do some minor terraforming to redirect rain.

This house has a few concerns like the one you passed up. Mainly foundation issues. Had disagreements with the contractor and company hired to remediate the problems and ended up involving a lawyer. Things are as they are and I am content if not satisfied. This property like the house in Oly will probably be my sons worry not mine. As long as I am warm, dry and have a garden I am happy. My priorities have simplified.

‘Good for you to remodel to your specifications. A little bit at a time makes all the more homey.

@Clay_22 Thank you Clay. You are kind to say so.

7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewel you have quite a unique style and passion for gardening. Everything you touch is thriving so beautifully. RIP for the passing of your loved one. Gardening will help you move forward with the many emotions, memories that life has given. It’s enjoyable to watch the many landscaping adventures you have shared. Keep it movin and share as you go. It’s a pleasure to watch your progress.

Daniel W and Jewell like this.
  8. Jewell

@Pacnorwest Gardening is an integral part of my life. A hobby for sure that I am not to serious about but continuously have my hands dirty.

The horrendous wisteria had the hedge trimmers taken to it. It did have a bounty of flowers clusters that are quickly becoming covered in vines IMG_8820.jpeg IMG_8818.jpeg

The last of my hillside paths is finished and planted. Rocks have been hauled and I am happy with the end result since I can safely get up and down from one level of the yard to the other. There is also a dog run/hose drag on one side so the hillside plants don’t get trample.
    IMG_8819.jpeg

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewel very nice I see that strawberry / mix tall plant such an outstanding colorful plant . Wisteria looks better. I need to get mine under control. Your garden is so neat and tidy.
    I’m hoping the wind will stop soon so I can spot spray and need to spray the perimeter of the property.

Daniel W and Jewell like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heavens to Betsy Jewell— those three piccies are glorious to see. You have accomplished quite a lot there.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Jewell

Thanks @Pacnorwest. I your wisteria is beautiful. I ordered a pole hedge clipper to begin taming this one. I left a huge mess around its base today. Can now see the trellis somewhat. Nice to know the trellis is not leaning as much as I first thought. It is just the slope of the land.

@Sjoerd a little bit at a time. It is interesting gardening in a different location with different weather and soil. It has also been fun to discover old varieties of plants not readily available in garden stores that survived decades of neglect.

this is a bellflower I am adding to the cottage garden. It has survived at the base of a big leaf maple and after moving some they have flowered profusely. Am waiting now to see the color of the peonies I moved. IMG_8837.jpeg

12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Lovely combo blues, pinks and white leaf adds a lot of interest. Ballon flower is a mainstay in my garden zone will take over and never seems to be a bully in the garden. Similar plant a mix with foxglove and bellflower .
    IMG_9629.jpeg

Clay_22, Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  13. Jewell

@Pacnorwest yours is yet another variety of bellflower I have not seen. Very pretty. I have a self sewing type tucked in amongst other perennials, under the porch and on the hillside. They come and go choosing their space like foxgloves and old fashioned opium poppies. Here is other variety that appeared last summer but doesn’t appear to have returned. It did bloom most of the summer. I had no idea of the wide variety of forms they can come in until moving onto this property.
    IMG_8839.jpeg
    and my unpredictable weed in white although purple is common also. Their leaf structure certainly varies a lot. IMG_8841.jpeg

Clay_22, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Very lovely Campanulas ladies. Gosh, they are really nice.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Jewell

Thanks @Sjoerd i am really enjoying the Campanella varieties. Now to get some more moved to the new bed out front.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.